Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help fuel issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help fuel issues!

Ok guys I am about to burn my car down. I have been having issues with fuel pumps for the last few months.

I have a 2000 LS1 with H/C/I. I originally went with a racetronix pump and hot wire kit. Got halfway through tuning the car and started popping the pump fuse. Before i was able to get it home the pump went completely out. Bought a used 340 pump from a friend and after driving the car about an hour to an hour and a half the car started popping the fuel pump fuse again. If you let the car sit over night and put a new fuse in it would start up and run fine for about an hour or so and Pop the fuse again. So I went over all the wiring and it all looked good, so I pulled the trigger on another stealth 340 pump. Same exact issue as before. So I ordered another completely new racetronix hot wire kit and pump, installed it and the car no longer pops the pump fuse. Car seems to be running great. Drove it and hour and a half away and then back with no issues. So last night I drive the hour it takes to get to my tuner. Get everything hooked up and ready, make the first WOT pull and at about 4500 RPM the car completely leans out. No matter the adjustment the tuner makes the car keeps leaning out at WOT. Does it on speed density and MAF. So we think we'll maybe the fuel filter is clogged, run get a new one and install the new filter, only to still have the same issue. So I take the car home AGAIN with out being finished with the tune and having fuel issues again.

Well this morning I wanted to see if the car was still being a little POS. take the car down the road about 10 minutes, downshift to 2nd and go WOT. Runs great! Doesn't lean out at all. Pulls all the way to red line with no issues. I try this several more time to see if I can get it to recreate going lean, Never happens, I go WOT and the car screams down the road.

HELP! I am about at my wits end trying to get the fuel system to operate 100% of the time. Does anyone have any ideas or sugestions? I'm think the pump may be weak once it get hot, but im so tired of buying fuel pumps I don't want to consider it lol.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Honestly I have had nothing but issues with my Racetronix pumps but that's just me. The easiest thing to do is sign up for their forum (only way to get any customer service from them) post your issue and they will walk you through the replacement/diagnosis process. It's tedious with them and can be a little frustrating but they will help. Post the issues your having with the fuel system on their and they have allot of great write ups on how to diagnose the issue.

Last edited by Chris25; 07-31-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Also have you tested the fuel pressure at wot? And idle ? I know my first pump did the same thing when it locked up just kept blowing fuses for the hot wire kit. Got a replacement.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I agree with hooking up a fuel pressure gauge, see what you're getting at idle and WOT even when the car feels decent it might still be lower than ideal. And if you can catch it during the issue, you can compare the readings.

If it's just a H/C/I car with no power adder or huge demand for fuel, I'd personally rather have an OE/Delphi pump assembly rather than anything aftermarket.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

I hooked up a pressure gage and it hold steady at 58 at idle and at WOT. Once the car has been drove for about an hour idle drops to 50 and as soon as you hit the throttle it starts dropping. Doesn't matter if it's WOT or just slowly driving around, if you touch the gas at all pressure drops.

So I ordered a aeromotive 340 and put it in today. Still have the exact same scenario hold pressure until it's been drove for about an hour. After that pressure drops as soon as you touch the throttle. Any ideas? I'm not sure where to trouble shoot from here.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

is the fuel pressure regulator on the pump assembly working properly? Did you replace the whole assembly or just re use your stock stuff. The FPR is part of the pump assembly.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris25
is the fuel pressure regulator on the pump assembly working properly? Did you replace the whole assembly or just re use your stock stuff. The FPR is part of the pump assembly.

That's what I like about the OE Delphi replacements, unless you absolutely NEED the higher volume, it's a completely new module including the regulator. I think most of the aftermarket pumps reuse the rest of the stock assembly, though I'm not sure if that's the case for all of them.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

The regulator is an out of tank regulator.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

That's what I like about the OE Delphi replacements, unless you absolutely NEED the higher volume, it's a completely new module including the regulator. I think most of the aftermarket pumps reuse the rest of the stock assembly, though I'm not sure if that's the case for all of them.
Ya I fell into the trap of if you have it out and apart upgrade it and let me tell you I regret it.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChameleonFormula3
The regulator is an out of tank regulator.

How are you monitoring AFR?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

I have a gage inside the car.

Quick Reply: Help fuel issues!