New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer upgrade?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Balancer upgrade?

Hey fella's, at what point in engine upgrades do I need to consider a change to an after market balancer?
Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Usually everyone does it during the cam swap considering you are going to be right their anyways. I just did mine a month back the SLP UDP or (Powerbond), just make sure if you do it before the cam swap you but the ARP balancer bolt so you don't have to keep buying stock GM bolts (Torque to yield cannot be re used).
Old 08-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balancer's often come with a bolt, so there is no need to pay for an expensive ARP bolt. Even if you have to buy an OEM bolt, they're cheap. No need for an ARP bolt unless you are tearing the engine apart freguently. As for the balancer, you'll need to replace it when it starts to wobble, which is generally after 50K miles or so. Also, change it if you have to remove it for any reason such as installing a cam.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong but I wouldn't think there is an actual point that is best. I did mine a week or so ago just cause I wanted to free up a few hp. I used a new factory bolt cause it's $5 compared to the $30. If I take the pulley off and reinstall it 5 more times I guess I'll be kicking myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balancer upgrade?