Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Mod Questions

Hello all, I finally got the car I have been wanting since I was a child, a 4th gen fbody. I have always read information on this site and lurked even before buying my car a few weeks ago, now I can join the club I guess though. Anyway I got myself a 2000 T/A A4 non TCS car Navy Blue Metallic, right now it has nothing at all done it and just barely rumbles louder than stock because of new cats.

I am looking to mod right away, and have done hours of research on certain parts/products and have friends with some experience in modding these cars, I just would like to know the forum's opinions on some things.

Obviously for a first mod I would like to do something with the air intake setup, I have heard the SLP Flopac kit is not worth it at all and basically to just get their smooth lid for the 90 bucks or whatever it cost. I heard Texas Speed made products for intake before, but I guess it is not available anymore? As of right now I think I will end up just buying the lid and leaving it at that for now.

Then there is the exhaust, so many possibilities and combinations. I know for a fact I will be going with TSP LT 1-7/8" headers, I thought about the TSP true dual system to connect and run the rest of the way, but I hear the Mufflex 4" single pipe catback system will not have the ground clearance issues the tsp td have and there is a decent hp difference so now I am pointing towards that direction. So TSP LT>TSP ORY>Mufflex catback with either flowmaster or magnaflow race muffler on the system.

Not certain on the plug/wire setup but I hear taylor wires and ngk plugs would be the way to go, not sure on what type for each. I will replace the tires in a few months most likely, of course everyone wants the beefy 315 that look badass but are they really going to provide much more for you than a 295 or so?, this car is my daily and will not get tracked enough to worry about having awesome tires so will just go with street radials. Also on the topic of traction, I have played with a car a little bit already and noticed a brake stall launch at around 1500 or so RPM leaves my back end wheel hopping and the car rattles like it is about to fall apart. (once again non-TCS car on stock tires) I heard a suspension kit from UMI or BMR might fix this issue? panhard rod bar, some lower control arms, or subframe connectors. Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks guys and glad to join the forum.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Aftermarket lower control arms eliminated all my wheel hop many years back. I don't remember the brand. That has been my only suspension mod. The installer said it's going to spin or hook but no hop and he was correct. Inexpensive fix. BTW, better back off if you feel in hopping - the stock rear end is a weak link.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's start with a budget here...
Old 08-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Let's start with a budget here...
What do you mean? How much am I willing to spend on mods? Honestly I will be adding stuff over time it does not have to be all at once so i'm not looking to buy cheap budget products, I pretty much know that what I posted above is the setup I want for exhaust and if that means I can't afford other stuff right now then it can wait. Basically I only want to do everything once.. But what would you say if I said 1500-2000 budget?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Project Bird
What do you mean? How much am I willing to spend on mods? Honestly I will be adding stuff over time it does not have to be all at once so i'm not looking to buy cheap budget products, I pretty much know that what I posted above is the setup I want for exhaust and if that means I can't afford other stuff right now then it can wait. Basically I only want to do everything once.. But what would you say if I said 1500-2000 budget?
My opinion would be to start with a full exhaust upgrade. Long tubes/Y pipe/Catback... I went with stainless ARH long tubes and their y-pipe. Awesome quality and built to last. Catbacks are more of a personal preference. Some other helpful mods to consider are a Lid, and an upgraded torque converter/higher stall, If you are planning to continuously mod the car, a good quote to remember is "buy for the future". Make sure anything you buy now can handle future upgrades. Within reason...
Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

A lid and some exhaust work should be a good start.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All lids generally perform the same. Fit and finish are the main difference.

Your exhaust choice listed above will do nicely.

Boxed lower control arms and a new torque arm should eliminate the wheel hop.

NKG spark plugs are what most on the forum get and they work well.
I wouldn't bother with plug wires unless yours are bad as you won't really gain much if any power from them.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Op,

I would start off with a lid.. u can find one for cheap in parts for sale section all day..than i would focus on suspension and exhaust. Again probably find some used headers and catback for cheap.

Than the next mod i would do is upgrade the tranny and throw in a converter.

Quick Reply: Newbie Mod Questions