Sponsored by:

Benefits of a y pipe on dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of a y pipe on dual exhaust

All,

I believe I have dual exhaust on my car. If so, would a Y pipe be useless? Wouldn't it be more restrictive since the exhaust would be going to a single "lane" using the y pipe?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Why do you believe that you have dual exhaust? A true dual setup and a nice y-pipe setup will flow fairly similarly. Most people have not noticed any big gains with going with a true dual setup over a y-pipe. The deciding factor for many people (myself included when I had my old Z28) was the sound of the true duals versus the y-pipe. True duals on our cars just sound heavenly.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Teching In

I bought an 02 Firehawk and read that SLP added true dual exhaust. Car is being shipped but it's 100% stock. That's why I say that.

I'm asking because I am looking at my first mods and I see y pipes as being common and was wondering if this is something I would skip if I had dual exhaust.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Launching!

If you have true dual and wanted to keep true dual you would not buy a y-pipe. That being said, if nothing has been altered on the car I dont think it has true duals. I am not aware of any set up that came from the factory with a true duall exhaust, even the SLP cars.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Being shipped by whom? Have any pics of the exhaust?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by meckeard
I bought an 02 Firehawk and read that SLP added true dual exhaust. Car is being shipped but it's 100% stock. That's why I say that.

I'm asking because I am looking at my first mods and I see y pipes as being common and was wondering if this is something I would skip if I had dual exhaust.
If it's factory, then it is not a true dual setup. All fourth gens came with a y-pipe from the factory, even SLP cars. What they were probably referring to is a dual outlet exhaust, which would be true.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Teching In

No pics of the exhaust. I'll have the car tomorrow and will check. I could've sworn I read it had true dual exhaust all the way back but maybe I misread.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by meckeard
No pics of the exhaust. I'll have the car tomorrow and will check. I could've sworn I read it had true dual exhaust all the way back but maybe I misread.
Not unless someone has modified the exhaust since original delivery. As stated above, no 4th gen F-body came from the factory with true dual, ever, not even SLP cars (such as Firehawk/SS) had this as an option.

So if the car is 100% stock as you state, then it has a Y-pipe setup and the biggest restriction here are the stock manifolds, not the Y-pipe. Many/most LT headers come with aftermarket Y-pipes (cats or no cats) since the stock one won't fit with LTs.

As also mentioned above, going to true dual is really more about sound than power. A good Y-pipe setup will make about the same power, but will never sound as good as true dual. Y-pipes sort of sound like a Kazoo on crack when the cats are deleted and a loud muffler is used, true dual setups don't have this problem. To get a catless Y-pipe setup to sound good, you have to be considerably more mindful of muffler selection.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You are confusing a "dual outlet" exhaust with a "true dual" exhaust. As stated above, our cars had the former with a Y-pipe, not the latter. It means that there are two tailpipes exiting from a single muffler.

Quick Reply: Benefits of a y pipe on dual exhaust