Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch going out or?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch going out or?

Ok,so i bought a 98 z28 with t56 with mild build. cam,head work, headers exhaust tune etc. previous owner claimed around 400rwhp. anyway, last night i decided to kinda get on it and took it up to 5500 rpm in low gears. Well i decided to turn around and do a bit of a launch...nothing spectacular. 2700 rpm or so, and it burned thetires and I hit second and then when i wentback on the gas hard it just revved high very quick, tires were not spinning though. Every time after that if i hit the gas hard or spun it past 2500 or so it would just rev. All the gears work and will drive if i'm easy on it. From a stop I put it in fifth and slowly let the clutch and it started to grab though. I let it sit overnight when i got it home and then took it out this morning. It grabbed very well and i was able to beat on it pretty hard , then after a bit it started doing the same thing again. I'm guessing the clutch is about gone, just when it cools down it is able to grab till it heats up a bit again? Anyone know of anything else it could be besides that? By the way, it does start to smell a bit after beating on it a while.https://ls1tech.com/forums/images/sm...r_banghead.gif
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The clutch hydraulics could be weak due to gummed up fluid, worn parts, etc. that work worse as the fluid temp rises. You have nothing to lose by changing out the clutch fluid, especially if it's already black in the reservoir. Considering you like to push the car, a higher rated fluid (DOT 4 or better) would give you more time before fluid changes.

When was the clutch and/or clutch fluid last changed? What kind of service did the previous owner put on it from then until now?
Old 09-06-2015, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

I'm not entirely sure but the previous owner put a Zoom twin disk in it with lightweight flywheel and new master and slave cylinders. I just looked at the fluid and it was amber. I took a syringe and sucked out most of it except a little because didn't feel like having to bleed the system. Put in some new and got in the car and let it idle. I pulled out the driveway no issues went down the road and made a good run through 1-4 gears and went up to about 100. turned around and took off decently then hit it and it was still holding fine. did a clutch dump from 2400 rpm and it just revved. sat for a second and took off easy and drove hot fine as long as i didn't slam the gas too much. I guess the clutch is just starting to go.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Well since I have a aluminum flywheel with a steel insert. I'll probably order a Spec stage 2 kit and a Insert for the flywheel and change it out. Should be good enough for the power my car is at. I guess I can just hope it isn't something else.

Quick Reply: Clutch going out or?