New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys! Can you help me with a few things?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hey guys! Can you help me with a few things?

Hey guys my name is Cody, I live in Scott City missouri, My friend (Ben Henson) got me into the LS1's perferably Firebird/Formula/TA. I used to want a 87 Buick Grand National. But i figured, i would get more chicks ina a F-body.
Not only that, but i wanted that big torquey Mean muscle car sounding V8. So today i made my move, i went out and bought a 2000 v6 Firebird (v6 for insurence reasons and gas mileage... for now), and i have a 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS, that i sold to Swap in the mighty LS1. And the money i have left over will go twards, SLP Loud mouths dual tips. (my friend has them on his car and i love them) SLP Long tube headers, Z06 Intake and, MAF, and Z06 intake manifold. Also, all my relitives gave me a total of 3000 dollars for graduation, anyway for my questions... i was wanting to know. I was going to swap the LS1 in right away. when i get it (tuesday next week) but i also wanted the Ls6? conversion head and cam kit. its on www.lmperformance.com anyway, you think i should hold off on installing the LS1 and send the heads off to get done.,..
Can i install the Exhaust w/o the headers?
Also, The head and cam kit says it will put my car to 485 rwhp, i kinda think bs on this one. But if its true. ben said his exhaust intake and headers gave him around 60-75 horse.

Anyway my finial question is.... If i do all that stuff... the dyno sheets ive seen with this combo, have hit around 550-575rwhp and around 600lbs of torque.

I wanna know two things. 1, Will this kill my tranny? 2 What will my car run? and 3, will i notice a big change in accerlation if i put in 3.73 gears? sorry.. i am new, btw it IS a 5spd, but i the motor i orderd came with a 6 spd tranny, and a shifter plate. will it be hard to install that?

Sorry for the long *** post. im just trying to find some good info...
Old 06-10-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Not to sound like a jerk but you should of just got a LS1. Best of luck to you .
Old 06-10-2004, 12:44 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Not to sound like a jerk but you should of just got a LS1. Best of luck to you .
. could of bought a 98-99 and had the ls1 and t56 to start with, then spend the rest of the money in mods. why go from A to B to C when you can go from A to D . your reason for buying the v6 for insurance and gas mileage is moot since you plan to mod the **** out of the engine, and second if you wreck it the insurance company will only pay out what a v6 camaro is worth and thats pennies on the dollar.

my suggestion is pull up a chair and get familar with the ls1. i'll tell you right off your living a pipe dream if you think your getting 550rwhp out of a 346; hydraulic roller anyway.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, welcome to the board, lets start out with some basics, The LS6 is the motor in the Z06, as far as the head and cam package 485 is the horsepower at the crankshaft not the rear wheels (im guessing this is your package http://www.lmperformance.com/1769/1.html) there are better head and cam packages out there for the money, Also what year car was the LS1 pulled from, because the 2001 and 2002 LS1’s already have the LS6(Z06) intake manifold, you also may want to consider a different rear end, aka get a 12 bolt from either strange or moser. But, this blitz of modifications on your car IMO isn’t a smart move, take some time and read up on your car before going crazy and wasting money, just my $.02 tho, oh yea, don’t expect the car to do wonders for you with girls, its not the car that makes the girl ***.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey man I like what you're doing to the car....I just came across a screaming good deal for a ls1 w/ a 6 speed to go in my car...thinking real hard cuz its a big swap for a lt1 car....you know...but hey man it's different for sure and you can fool everyone with a v6 look a like....I mean it does look like a formula but it says firebird...tire kickers will be scratchin their heads when u roar by...just from what I've read on here you will need.....
-LS1 motor mounts
- T56 Crossmember and trans mount?
- Possibly the LS1 steering rack...not sure on that I know I need it if I swap
-Driveshaft for t56 and whatever rear end you end up with
- Complete PCM for car

For exhaust I'd run headers and have some true duals fabbed up cuz it'll end being better in the long run. Also you will most likely need v8 springs front and rear for the extra weight. I'm assuming you have four wheel disc brakes...if not you need to upgrade to that of a similiar year fbody car. Sounds like a lot of work and I'm sure it is but hey man if you want to do it more power to ya....but LS1 fbodies are out there already to go and maybe you should look into them cuz they will be cheaper down the road. Best of luck
Old 06-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

A man not to jump off the subject but I stay in St.Louis Scott City is a town right. Your insurance could'nt have been that bad. Then again I don't know you driving record or anything soooooooooo
But any way welcome the board and good luck with the project.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

From what I hear the SLP LT headers are one of the few that have ground clearance issues. I was intent on the SLP myself, but will avoid it especially since the car is now lowered.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 4mula1
From what I hear the SLP LT headers are one of the few that have ground clearance issues. I was intent on the SLP myself, but will avoid it especially since the car is now lowered.
Agreed. Check out QTP long tubes. They're on special right now, race headers are only $725 and an ORY is $310. That's cheaper than SLP's gonna give you, and the headers tuck nicely and offer great gains. I'm ordering my QTP's this evening.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You've got a lot of work ahead of you to complete the whole project. Join www.fastlouis.com one of the guys on the board has done a ls1 swap in a v6, he could probably help out.