Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 ls1 help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ls1 help

Ok I know easier said then done....I want to give my 1999 Pontiac trans am ls1 4l60e more horsepower I'm 20 years old and limited on money but my brother has a lift in his shop 😎

I was thinking a bigger intake and longtube headers...but I have to pass emissions...what's your guys opinions?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:25 AM
On The Tree

Well, what kind of horsepower gains are you looking to achieve? I'm not sure about emissions because I don't have to pass them, but you can get decent gains by increasing air flow through a better intake and air lid. The headers will definitely help but make sure to keep your O2 sensors, cat converters, etc...

No idea if this helps, but there are a ton of bolt-on mods you can do without a major overhaul of the engine
Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok you say you want to make more hp , do you really want to make more hp like on a dyno or do you want to make the car faster ? if faster then start with a quality lock up stall convertor since your a4 trans- yank, circle d etc... it will give you more gains et wise than intake/headers , will not affect your passing emmisions , and will completely change the way the car comes into power when you mash it-30 mph mash will put it up in a ball of smoke 1st/2nd gear with a good stall.

headers/intake are great and will make more power but stall will put you into powerband immediately , that's where I would start

make sure to add a trans cooler wit the stall
Old 11-16-2015, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Thankyou for the advise...and what kind of stall speed shift kit would you recommend?

Also if I do end up doing an intake manifold I can't spend 1000$ on a 92mm fast...what oem ones would fit, from other ls cars...also just throwing it out there when I shift in reverse it clunks hard sometimes...possibly u joints?....and is it worth it to swap my drive shaft with the camaros all aluminum one? An maybe find a ws6 3:43? How hard is it to get it to run at high 11s in a 1/4 mile

Quick Reply: 99 ls1 help