Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 rwhp gain From oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 rwhp gain From oil?

OK, about 10 min.s ago i got done watching Horsepower TV. Well they had a 2000 SS M6, i dunno if modded. Well they said they were going to see if there was any HP gain by changing the engine oil, trany oil and rear-end oil, using Royal Purple fluids. I thought to myself it's going to be like 2 or 3 at the most. Well the base made 302 rwhp. They changed all the oils and the old oils didn't look dirty or anything like that. They put in the Royal Purple stuff and it made 310 rwhp? That's a 8 hp gain at the wheels?! Is this true or didn't they trick it up some how? I dunno what to think about that show sometimes, Like when they but a S/C on there 4.6 GT mustang and only made like 280 rwhp and that's just headers, cat-back, and alot more ****? What do yall think about the SS and it's 8 hp gain?
Old 06-11-2004, 06:17 PM

Popular Hot Rodding Magazine did the same thing with a V-6 4 th gen camaro in one of their magazines. I don't believe it, but who knows.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

just tryin to sell ya sum oil.. but hey i would buy it..lol
Old 06-11-2004, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, the show is trying to pimp their sponsors products because they are under contract to do so.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Teching In

it sounds believeable to me. a friend of mine who went to work for a nascar team as an engine builder tested every oil imaginable,and every additive imaginable. the royal pyrple was the only synthetic oil to raise horsepower. in their engine it raised horsepower 16 over every other oil. ironically they still use valvoline 5w30 synthetic because it is free...lol. as a sidenote, all the oil additives were tested, and the only one that made more power 4 hp i think...was something called revive...never heard of it

Brian
Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speed2k2z28
it sounds believeable to me. a friend of mine who went to work for a nascar team as an engine builder tested every oil imaginable,and every additive imaginable. the royal pyrple was the only synthetic oil to raise horsepower. in their engine it raised horsepower 16 over every other oil. ironically they still use valvoline 5w30 synthetic because it is free...lol. as a sidenote, all the oil additives were tested, and the only one that made more power 4 hp i think...was something called revive...never heard of it

Brian
Even thought it's hard to beleive i'd like to try and is if i can feel it myself
Old 06-11-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've tried Royal Purple in a couple of my cars. I couldn't tell any H.P. gains, but the engine sounded smoother and it ran a little cooler also my mpg increased a little.I used it in my T-BIRD with the factory supercharger,to me its worth the extra $ for a little more protection, and if you're going to keep the car a while.I'm not a salesman or an expert... just my$.02.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A thinner oil will pump easier and reduce the
oil pump's parasitic load. Thinner or just one
with different shear characteristics will make
less drag in the journals and where things slide
past each other on the hydrodynamic film of
pressurized oil and maybe at the rings.

Quantitatively, couldn't say. But plausible (+/-
5HP dyno repeatability), perhaps.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

A friend of mine races Super Stockers for NHRA and IHRA, has several records and has proven the HP gains and ET gains just by changing oil.