Sponsored by:

Switching to Green Coolant after 150,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to Green Coolant after 150,000 miles

Hi guys,

I have an 04 silverado 1500 ls based 5.3 motor. I am wondering if i can safely switch to green coolant after having had dexcool in the system for over 150,000 miles?

The radiator has been flushed several times with distilled water, so there is definitely no residual dexcool left in the system, however, im worried that since the cooling passages, water jackets, and heater core have been exposed to the special formulation of the dexcool chemical (proplyene glycol?) that introducing ethyl glycol (green stuff) will allow some type of caustic reaction to take place in the cooling system causing some crazy case of rust. (or any other strange thing i cant imagine)

Please let me know if anyone has successfully switched to dexcool after 100,000+ miles or, if that is a terrible idea.

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

As a tech, I always say its best to go with what came with the car since you know theres no issues of corrosion or poor lubrication, seen some cars when doing head gaskets that have green coolant with lots of pits around the combustion chamber on the block, I don't work on too many ls motors just the one I have in my car and it only sees dexcool unless im at the track, then its just water and water wetter
Old 02-19-2016, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
As a tech, I always say its best to go with what came with the car since you know theres no issues of corrosion or poor lubrication, seen some cars when doing head gaskets that have green coolant with lots of pits around the combustion chamber on the block, I don't work on too many ls motors just the one I have in my car and it only sees dexcool unless im at the track, then its just water and water wetter
couldnt those pits be from lack of change intervals or not flushing their cooling systems?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Just put Dexcool back in it. The only reason it's looked down upon is becuase nobody changes it and it deteriorates. Otherwise, it's better than the green. If you maintain your vehicle, you will have zero problems.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NowhereFast
Just put Dexcool back in it. The only reason it's looked down upon is becuase nobody changes it and it deteriorates. Otherwise, it's better than the green. If you maintain your vehicle, you will have zero problems.
Agreed.

There's a lot of myth out there about dexcool. FWIW My Silverado has 200k and my TA has 170k, both have had dexcool since new with no issues.

There's a lot more to coolant than just ethylene or propylene glycol, such as silicates, borates, phosphate, etc. It's pretty confusing and I wish I could find better info to explain it all lol.

Supposedly Dex can corrode older gaskets that weren't designed for it, but in your case, your engine was designed for it.

OEMs put a lot of research into this kind of stuff so just use what they call for. I use to be a Honda tech and I only put Honda coolant in a Honda. They changed theirs to blue back in '05. I only put Toyota coolant in Toyotas. They use 2 redish colors and mixing them with green makes it brown, I could mix it with dex but Idk if they are compatible. It's easy to just use what the OEM calls for and not worry about it.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd stay with the DexCool (OAT-PG) since you've had no issues with it. It might take a lot of flushing to remove all traces of it. And from the article below it suggests a specific chemical coating from the DexCool is now adhered to your coolant system. In any case I found the below article informative on various aspects of the 3 types of coolants available to us. It's from 2011 and written with Model T's in mind, but it's applicable to all of our cars. Seems to be a push for Red Line WW. A good primer on the use of coolants, how they work, what they do, and what they can't do.

http://rmaford.org/wp-content/blogs....uids_v2007.pdf

When it was time to change the coolant in my car, I stayed with the OEM DexCool just because it had worked fine for 13 years and I didn't want to take the risk that some of it might get left behind while switching to EG-IAT. You can probably safely change over as many others around here have done it.

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-20-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by NowhereFast
Just put Dexcool back in it. The only reason it's looked down upon is becuase nobody changes it and it deteriorates.....If you maintain your vehicle, you will have zero problems.
This has been my exact experience.

I would stick with Dexcool for an LS application.

Quick Reply: Switching to Green Coolant after 150,000 miles