Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam question

This may have been asked before, but i cant find it in a search. What cam is a good upgrade for a mostly stock LS1. Mostly stock meaning the actual engine its self is stock. By the time I get a cam I will have upgraded my exhaust, and have a LS6 intake. I will need my camaro to be an everyday driver, and I want this cam to be good for the street; meaning that I would like a cam that dosent sacrifice low end torque, and midrange power. I understand that these factors somewhat constrain my choices, but I dont need to make incredible power, I just want better acceleration, better torque, and more constant power throughout the band. What, if any cam on the market could do this for me? It should also be known that I have an A4, but due to the fact that I want it to remain a street car, a high-stall converter is not an option.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, first off I would definately get a converter. I just installed a TCI SSF3500 and transcooler 8 days ago and it is definately the best mod I have done yet. I know you want your car to be well behaved for the street, but this converter won't be unpractical. Just drive it normal and you'll still get good gas mileage, but when you stomp the gas HOLD ON. My car isn't a daily driver, but I could drive it every day with this converter with no problems at all. Trust the guys on here about how driveable a higher stalled car is, I did and there are absolutely NO regrets. As for your cam, the 224 in your wish list has always been a favorite. I was planning on that cam as well, but I am now thinking about going a bit bigger. I rode in a car a few months ago with the 224 but the guy didn't have a converter yet and it definately needed one. It had a bit of a hesitation in the low rpms, but it pulled well after it reached approx. 2500-3000rpm. I don't believe you can put in a cam worth while and reap the benefits without a higher stall.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He's right about the TC best mod Ive done... You want have any problem being an everyday driver with a TCI SSF 3500 TC... I run the same exact stall, with 3.73 gears & my stall isnt loose at all... Its hard to even tell it has one in it. But you know when it breaks loose from a 40mph roll.. Man will this thing pull... As far as the cam goes, if you dont want something that will put out a lot of power, be good for everday driving, & not bad on the price.. I would check into the LS1 Hot Cam.. Do a search on them. Alot of people that are running these cams are put down damn good #s with a cam only... Just my .02 though.. Good Luck, Vann
Old 06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Might wanna ask the cam guys over in the internal section. Do a search first and see what you come up with.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only reason why I'd like to avoid running with a stall converter is because I dont really wanna pull the tranny of the car. I have some car knowledge, but im not sure I am up to such a task. At this point the cam installation is almost beyond my skills, but im pretty sure the installation of the stall converter is not doable at this time.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Where are u located at, I'm sure there would be a fellow LS1 owner that would assist u in the installs. If you live anywhere around the western KY area, I'd be glad to help you with the converter and or cam.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, post up in your regional section if nothing else, you might be able to find some help. You need to do whatever necessary in order to get a converter in there ASAP! I have learned that you do NOT want to get a cam on the stock converter. I just got the SSF3500 last week, man oh man does that thing kick ***! Best single mod i have done for perfomrance by FAR. FYI: I can drive normally, up to 40-45 mph, normal slow car acceleration with most traffic at 2,200 rpm. You will NOT get the benfits out of a cam w/o the converter, and you will have driveability issues unless you get a tiny baby cam.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you can get your hands on a tranny jack and a lift(i know this may not be possible) you can do the tranny...you will need a 3 foot extension and a swivel joint to get to a few bolts but it can be done. i pulled my tranny(1st time) in march to put my clutch in and just did my 2nd cam install ever a few days ago. i did my first cam install 2 weeks ago..go to installuniversity.com or ls1howto.com for instructions...

and about your cam question, a lot of people go with the TR 224/224..i went with a 224/230 112 LSA.. its got a nice lope but not too big and i drive my car daily..im going to get mine tuned though. with a TR 224/224 you may need a tune since you have an A4 but ive heard some other A4 drivers with it dont have any problems
Old 06-15-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What exactly does a 3500 stall converter do? I know that you can brake torque with them up to their stall, but if you are launching from a dig, does the car not move at all until the engine reaches the lock-up speed? From what I understand you can excelerate regularly from a stop as well? Does a stall converter cause more wear and tear on the transmission? If so my car already has 46000miles on it, and Im not sure how long the stock tranny would last with a stall converter on it.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by natronathon
What exactly does a 3500 stall converter do? I know that you can brake torque with them up to their stall, but if you are launching from a dig, does the car not move at all until the engine reaches the lock-up speed? From what I understand you can excelerate regularly from a stop as well? Does a stall converter cause more wear and tear on the transmission? If so my car already has 46000miles on it, and Im not sure how long the stock tranny would last with a stall converter on it.
Most of those could/should be answered with a SEARCH. But.....

Okay. Your car will move at idle on level ground. You cannot necessarily brake torque them up to their stall. Stall speed and lockup speed are different. I have the SSF3500, I can Accelerate from a stop anywhere between 2,000 rpm and 3,500 rpm without going too fast. Most normal driving I am between 2k and 2,500 rpm. If you just mash the gas from a stop it will flash up to it's stall speed, but it seems like it's going to almost 4k rpm immediately with mine. If you are worried about transmission wear, just get a shift kit, cooler, bigger pan, and temp gauge, then watch the gauge to make sure you stay safe. I have 52,XXX miles on mine, and I fully expect it to last that many more with proper maintenance and a watchfull eye on the temp gauge. (though I am sure i will end up getting it built to handle more power within a few years anyway )
Old 06-16-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! I didnt know that TC SSF 3500 was that economical! I may have to do that someday. I think I will sell my Z28 for a different one before I do that. We'll see. If mine does well, and everything is a-ok throughout the end of the summer i may invest in a set-up somewhat like yours. One more question for ya. Does a converter like the one I mentioned affect highway/highspeed cruising? I take it that anything over 3500rpm (i guess that would be around 110ish - 120ish) it would not be affected? thanks in advance, and for clearing up all the confusion on this subject.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

See, that's the great thing about lock-up torque converters. If you aren't inot the gas very much, anything above say 40mph (depending on converter and tune)it locks up just like the factory and it's back to normal. I can cruise in the low 40's at practically 1,500 rpm. Once it locks up, consider it stock.

It is very economical. I got my SSF 3500, TCI aluminum trans pan (+2 quarts), TransGo shift kit, autometer gauge pod with trans temp gauge, B&M 24k transmission cooler, and basic tuning for $1,380 at Speed Inc including installation of everything. If you installed yourself you could make it for under $1,000, including the $130 pan that you don't have to have.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info. Now I just gotta save up some cash!