New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with o2 codes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with o2 codes?

Hey whats up guys. So I've have my 02 trans am ws6 for about a year now. far as I know everything is stock. The other day I started her up and she low idled and then died. I feathered it at 900 rpm for about 20 seconds and it became stable again and drove fine after. A few days later it idled at 1000 on start up and would jump about 500 in between shifting. It settled down after about 5 minutes. My normal idle is about 700rpm. It did this for about two days and so I took it to O'Reillys and the codes that came up were P0161,P0137 and P1637 I believe. After those two days she's been working fine but the codes are still there. Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks in Advance.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0161 = excessive current draw for heated oxygen sensor, location is bank 2 after catalytic converter.

p0137 = o2 sensor reading remained low for too long indicating lean condition, location is bank 1 after catalytic converter.

p1637 = alternator L terminal circuit, fault with alternator.

codes will stay there until you manually clear them, or enough engine warm up cycles go by and successful self-tests happen that will cause them to clear.
my suggestion is to manually clear them and then monitor for their return and in which order. the p0137 and p0161 are post cat and have no affect on engine run quality, they only report on catalytic converter problems. the p1637 being alternator related, may have tripped because engine rpm dropped low, system electrical voltage dropped which then caused the two O2 sensor codes because of low electrical voltage...maybe.
my suggestion is to clear the codes,
then use a digital volt meter and check your battery voltage with engine off and with engine running. if off voltage less than ~12.4 volts then you might have a bad battery which "can" cause problems when the engine is running and alternator is charging. the other is measure battery voltage with engine running, if it's less than 13.0 volts then you likely have an alternator charging problem which would need to be fixed before anything else. if electrical voltage with engine running is not between ~13.2 and 14.5 volts then weird things can happen and would cause various trouble codes... the o2 sensors for example cannot operate properly unless voltage to them is within range, if not then it's not surprising an o2 sensor failed trouble code was set.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 04-06-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with o2 codes?