Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Painting block?

l was perusing the internet when I came across a thread on ls1.com where someone said it was a bad idea to paint an aluminum block? Something to do with it being a detriment to it shedding heat via air?

Also, I know on older sbcs that it was common to paint some of the internal portions of the engine. Typically the valley and maybe a few other spots. Is this still a practice people do today with aluminum engines? Is it even worthwhile?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to paint my aluminum block last time I had it out. I was also advised by my local machine shop not to do it because of heat problems. So I painted everything around it and polished the bare aluminum with one of those foam ***** for the drill.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funnily enough I remember watching a video on youtube about some australian dudes who took an intercooler and painted it matte black (The idea being that black absorbs more heat, which would then shed quicker in the intercooler). If I remember right it was actually somewhat successful... lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it!

Interesting results. with airflow it didn't make a difference, but it was able to radiate heat more effectively. I wonder if you could apply the same principle to an engine?

Last edited by HappySalesman; 05-03-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is an interesting read, I still wouldn't want to test it on my motor. Black wasn't in my color scheme any ways lol.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess the only way to really tell would be to see how much heat an aluminum block will shed. Honestly I don't see the block shedding more than maybe a percent or two of what the cooling system will.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...ng+metal+heat&

by the numbers if no light (sunlight) hits the painted block then painting it black would give you the greatest effect for "shedding heat" based on radiation. but heat is transferred away by convection and conduction...
painting the block to increase the ability to shed heat is as effective as buying a second ticket to win powerball.

this one was the first result in the above google search was fairly relevant to your question: http://irinformir.blogspot.com/2009/...-transfer.html

if you are worried about paint affecting heat transfer of your engine [system] in your car, then the problem is not with the paint it's with your cooling system
Old 05-06-2016, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wasn't really looking to paint the block for heat shedding lol. Like I said I just saw some people saying "Don't do it!" and thought that it didn't make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the link though, pretty informative.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah their reason for don't do it is a bit out of context and not correct.
the biggest problem would be getting paint to adhere to the aluminum, not sure if the basic engine primers on store shelf will work well on aluminum. I've always specifically used self-etch primer on anything aluminum if i wanted a durable paint finish.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I've already got a can of self-etch. Just need to scrub the block with purple power degreaser to get the gunk off of it.

Quick Reply: Painting block?