New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L33 suitable non-dod replacement for LH6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 suitable non-dod replacement for LH6?

Hi.

Not sure if this is the right forum to put this, so Mods feel free to move it if not.

I recently bought a nice, low mileage 5.3 9-7x suv that soon developed a pretty severe rod knock. Best I can tell, my wife drove it about 8 miles home that way. I fully intend to rebuild the short block, also eliminating the AFM, however fearing the worst (cam or crank bearing issues), I started researching my options.

LH6 cores around here are crazy money, nobody seems to sell short blocks, and I would hate to spend all the money on a long block only to replace the cam & dod lifters thus voiding any warranty.

I even though my LH6 is a gen IV, I believe this configuration has a 24x crank. A L33 is a 24x, aluminum block, same heads, no AFM, but a gen3.

Could I just swap cam gears, use my front cover w/ cam sensor & mount the knock sensors on the side like the gen IV? I do realize I would have to have the AFM tuned out of the PCM.

I'm hoping this is all theoretical, & I can just repair my motor (24k miles), & install a DOD delete. But if not, any reason this would not work? Is there any downside to converting back to a GEN3?

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Last edited by Jscm3; 05-07-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: L33 suitable non-dod replacement for LH6?