Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda Freaking our Regarding EGR...Please calm me down

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda Freaking our Regarding EGR...Please calm me down

I decided to take my 98 z28 with about to hit 150k but runs beautifully to pick up my daughter from her mom. This is about a 6 hour drive all highway. It did a great job the whole way but within 15 min of street driving my Service Engine Soon light kicks on...Let the freak out commence. Luckily I was a short distance from autozone who checked and it was the EGR code. I have owned this car for about a month and have had no issues. Can I make it back? Do I have to replace it or ruin the engine? I have read about 30 threads on the topic but I need some handholding. Runs and drives great but as this is my first LS1 I am losing my sh**.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDynamite
I decided to take my 98 z28 with about to hit 150k but runs beautifully to pick up my daughter from her mom. This is about a 6 hour drive all highway. It did a great job the whole way but within 15 min of street driving my Service Engine Soon light kicks on...Let the freak out commence. Luckily I was a short distance from autozone who checked and it was the EGR code. I have owned this car for about a month and have had no issues. Can I make it back? Do I have to replace it or ruin the engine? I have read about 30 threads on the topic but I need some handholding. Runs and drives great but as this is my first LS1 I am losing my sh**.
Calm down lol

An egr code won't kill the engine

It's the flashing service engine soon lights that should have you worried since it means you have a misfire..

You have 2 options, check the egr system (tube going into the intake might have an air leak)

Or you can delete EGR and cap the intake hole off with a eBay EGR block off etc..
Old 05-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Burken01
Calm down lol

An egr code won't kill the engine

It's the flashing service engine soon lights that should have you worried since it means you have a misfire..

You have 2 options, check the egr system (tube going into the intake might have an air leak)

Or you can delete EGR and cap the intake hole off with a eBay EGR block off etc..
Did I mention that was 6 hours one way and I'm not home. Stuck in OKC at the moment. Yes the service engine soon is what scared me...
Old 05-21-2016, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of people delete the EGR by choice, anyway. I think the newer LS1 (2000-2002) LS1 vehicles don't even have one. (Or maybe I'm thinking of the AIR?)
Old 05-21-2016, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
A lot of people delete the EGR by choice, anyway. I think the newer LS1 (2000-2002) LS1 vehicles don't even have one. (Or maybe I'm thinking of the AIR?)
98-00 ls1 fbody cars have air & egr

01-02 just have AIR
Old 05-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I just wonder if I need to replace egr or will it make the 6 hour drive home...
Old 05-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

EGR is an economy/emissions object. It does not need to function to run the engine. A malfunctioning valve can screw up the engine's breathing though by allowing exhaust gas to be ingested at the wrong time, but I've never heard of that happening.

I would clean it and fix it, as there is some measure of fuel economy supposedly (never tested it personally though)
Old 05-21-2016, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol you will be more than fine. i ripped that crap outta every f body ive owned. drive home and deal with it there. its when the SES (service engine soon) light is flashing that you have to pull over, as that is indicating a misfire. that will not occur however with an egr fault.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Clear the code and drive it home. Mine comes on too every now and then, it does not matter.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

EGR-Exhaust Gas Recirculation.
Being that it's dealing with exhaust gases,sometimes removing the valve and scraping the exhaust 'crud' in the valves passages and in the passages where the valve mounts will get the EGR system functioning normally again. Sometimes,if it's an electrical problem with the valve,valve replacement is required.
As posted above,driving the vehicle will not pose a problem.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Teching In

I love you all so much.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Default Update

When I pulled the EGR

I did make it safely. Thought I would show the EGR.

Quick Reply: Kinda Freaking our Regarding EGR...Please calm me down