New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programer identification help (I think?).

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Programer identification help (I think?).

Hello All,

Go easy on me as for I'm not very familiar with the LS mods ect....

I picked up a lightly modified 98 Formula that I have been putting back to stock appearance wise... In doing so, I had to remove a bunch of wiring from a monster sound system he had in at one time and put a OEM radio back in etc....

When removing the lower panel under the steering column, I noticed this plug... which looks to be for a programer????

Here are pics of the box that is mounted under the panel and the end of the plug. Hope you guys know what it is and if it is a programmer, I would like to buy one and use it on the car.

Thanks for any help or info in advance : )
Attached Thumbnails Programer identification help (I think?).-img_5402.jpg   Programer identification help (I think?).-img_5401.jpg   Programer identification help (I think?).-img_5403.jpg  
Old 05-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Teching In

To me, that looks like a security system brain. One that had a unique electronic key that must be inserted into that plug in order for the car to start. It's probably been bypassed/disconnected but never removed from the car.

A hand held programmer will connect to the car via the OBD II port under the dash on the driver's side.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Teching In

I guess that makes sense. But they had it come through the panel and then it is mounted to the outside of the panel with bracket, which would be by your right knee.

I thought it might be a programmer. Oh well, thanks for your thoughts on it : )

Joe

Originally Posted by WREK LS1
To me, that looks like a security system brain. One that had a unique electronic key that must be inserted into that plug in order for the car to start. It's probably been bypassed/disconnected but never removed from the car.

A hand held programmer will connect to the car via the OBD II port under the dash on the driver's side.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Teching In

definitely security. it's just a glorified starter kill. you had to insert a "key" into that plug to make the car start. any "programming" would be done through the OBDII port... (16 pin DLC)
Old 06-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the help : ) I'll have my buddy who does alarms look at it and pull it.

Originally Posted by mtx410
definitely security. it's just a glorified starter kill. you had to insert a "key" into that plug to make the car start. any "programming" would be done through the OBDII port... (16 pin DLC)

Quick Reply: Programer identification help (I think?).