New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil is too much?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much oil is too much?

OK, 1998 WS6 Trans Am, with 5.7L LS1 V8.

Anyways, I had a shop do an oil change for me with full synthetic (always), because I have a credit card with them and money is tight... but my oil was so dirty I couldn't put it off until I could just buy the oil myself at a store and change it in the driveway.

The proper amount is 5.5 quarts, right? The shop says it only put in "up to 5 quarts" for the job, so I thought I'd have to buy a quart and top it off. I go to check the oil, and it's actually ABOVE the limit.

I waited until the car was fresh cool, and the oil is still like a CM above the max hot line. Should I drain some out, or is a tiny overhead OK? I don't want to damage anything, and this is my DD.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you start the car and let the filter fill up with oil then check the stick ? A little over isn't going to hurt anything. I use the taller truck oil filter and dump in 6 full qt's FYI.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of us autoX and Road race guys would put in up to an extra qt of oil to prevent oil starvation around corners. Being a little over is perfectly fine.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine seems to take 5-1/2 quarts, sometimes 6 to register full. I don't think being 1/2 qt above full is a problem. 1 quart high might be the limit. Too much though and you start foaming. I don't know exactly when that would occur. For a daily driver that was over 1/2 qt above full, I'd get under the car and let a little oil out, collect in a clean container. Only takes a few minutes for peace of mind.

Synthetic oils are cheap at the moment. Walmart is selling several major brands for $20-$22 per 5 qt jug. And last month Mobil 1 had $12 rebates per jugs (net cost $2.17/qt). Pennzoil offers a $2/qt rebate for all of 2016 up to a max of 48 qts. So there's no reason you can't find top quality synthetics at $2/qt inside the USA. Even if there's not a WM near you they ship free on orders over $50-$60. Even the Walmart SuperTech was on promotion in some parts of the country the past 1-2 weeks at under $2/qt. Buy the oils when they are on sale and rebates are offered. I have a few dozen quarts of PP/PUP/M1/QSUD that I bought within the past 8 months at $2/qt.

I can do my own synthetic oil changes for under $20 in supplies (including synthetic oil filter)...which I prefer to paying $50-$80 to a service center. I know the exact oil I'm using, how much went in, all old oil was drained, the filter was pre-filled and correctly tightened, and the drain plug was not stripped/over-tightened.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-03-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, I'll have to check out those deals next time.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Thanks, I'll have to check out those deals next time.
For month of June, Advance Auto Parts is offering 5 qts of QSUD + Fram extra guard filter for $19.99. Add in the $7 QS on line rebate and that's a net $12.99 for oil + filter.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was n/a I always ran 6 quarts with the tall filter. Now that I'm boosted I run between 6-6½ quarts with the taller filter. Most people I know run 6 quarts and have never had any problems.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I run 6 quarts without the taller filter. Never had an issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much oil is too much?