Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First things first

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First things first

So I just bought a 98 Trans Am with an LS1. Someone has already put LS6 heads, cam, intake and exhaust with egr delete. Question is dont I need a tuning program with interface before going any further? If you start changing other parts like a bigger cam, high stall converter and nitrous it has to be tuned before you can make a full power hit or risk destroying everything. So what does everyone use as a tuning platform? I've only heard of HP tuners and Diablo sport. This car will eventually be a race only car. It will never be a DD even though it may come out on the street once in a while, but will be limited by how far you can drive without refiling. Anyway, seems to me before buying any other hard parts I need a tuning suite. Does this make sense? Thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You want to do the tuning yourself?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

any professional tuners in your area with LS knowledge?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Default Tuning

I loath the idea of paying someone to tune my engine. It's like asking a painter to use a coloring book. I decided before I bought this car that I would not let the tuning aspect limit my engine choice. But from what I'm hearing most guys just bring it to someone who specializes in tuning? What's the going rate for something like that anyway? Like a price range so to speak? I'm going to do everything on the car my self from paint, machine work to the block, build the trans, fabricate and install the roll cage ect... That way when I win/loose I take all the glory or none.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Roughly speaking you're looking somewhere between $300- $600. Sometimes a little more or less depending
Old 06-09-2016, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

if youre talented enough to tune your own car then go for it.

but i would think youre at least going to need to rent some dyno time no?

im sure you know tuning is an art form and if not done correctly can ruin all your hard work.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Roughly speaking you're looking somewhere between $300- $600. Sometimes a little more or less depending
To add to this....
The initial tune is in the price range above. I would say the average is $450. Now at least with my tuner, (who is very very good), it's not $450 every time you bring it to him. Depending on what needs to be done, sometimes he says don't worry about it, other times it's a couple hundred, sometimes it's a hundred ect.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finding the right person is important. Someone that will spend time dialing in the street tune before putting on the dyno.
Stay away from someone that just straps it to the dyno and hammers on the car, if the street tune is done properly then it should only take a couple of pulls on the dyno to hit your number.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
To add to this....
The initial tune is in the price range above. I would say the average is $450. Now at least with my tuner, (who is very very good), it's not $450 every time you bring it to him. Depending on what needs to be done, sometimes he says don't worry about it, other times it's a couple hundred, sometimes it's a hundred ect.
This is pretty much dead on with the two tuners I've used. Usually a retune is $200, but the initial dyno and street tune has been $450.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Great info guys thanks for that!! Someone said and I agree that I will Street tune first then dyno before hitting the track. I'm in Corpus Christi TX and I don't think anyone here has a chassis dyno. Closest place would be San Antonio which is about 2.5 hrs North of here. But...by this time next year there will be someone in corpus that can do a street tune on an LS guaranteed! It's going to be ME! Oh I've heard that some tuning platforms can lock up a VCM/ECM. Is that true and if so is there a way to tell before I buy the program? Is it OK to mention the program I intend to use or do we consider that advertising and is not permitted? Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Duzzi
Great info guys thanks for that!! Someone said and I agree that I will Street tune first then dyno before hitting the track. I'm in Corpus Christi TX and I don't think anyone here has a chassis dyno. Closest place would be San Antonio which is about 2.5 hrs North of here. But...by this time next year there will be someone in corpus that can do a street tune on an LS guaranteed! It's going to be ME! Oh I've heard that some tuning platforms can lock up a VCM/ECM. Is that true and if so is there a way to tell before I buy the program? Is it OK to mention the program I intend to use or do we consider that advertising and is not permitted? Thanks again.
If I'm not mistaken it's the 98's ecm that have a possibility of locking up. The rest of the years are fine.
With that said my ecm didn't lock up

Quick Reply: First things first