New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missing stuff

Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing stuff

hey guys i'm in some what of a jam. found a 2002 5.3 long block, that's it. blown head gaskets and number 2 cam bearing spun. its in the machine shop now as we speak. its been cleaned, mag'd, and they're boring it this week .030 over to clean it up and fit the new pistons.
I was going to go the carb'd way because i had nothing for induction and wiring. yesterday i found a really good deal on a 2001 yukon harness and 0411 ecu. so i bought it. now i'm stuck on whats all needed to make this thing run right. I under stand all the sensors and parts interchange, but the configuration i'm looking for i seem not to find it on the web, or am over looking it because i don't know fully what i'm doing.
A quick overview of my build;
.030 over 5.3
ls6 cam
317 heads
holley high ram intake[92mm]
67mm turbo
all i want on this is to send fuel to the injectors and fire the cylinders. i don't want nothing else. so any feed back will help a great deal with whats needed.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the harness is complete and you have all the sensors, you should Google "build standalone LS harness." There are free guides as well as some swap guides you can pay for, all with about the same info but you do get what you pay for. When you get down to it, not that complicated but not something I can just type up for you here quickly.

That being said, a 5.3 can be bored all the way out to 5.7. Why only go .030? 5.3s are a dime a dozen and a well-built, well-maintained LS lasts 200K+ miles so boring it again later is not something I would worry about. With how cheap those blocks are, I would consider the extra free cubes STRONGLY.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Teching In

I've seen some web pages on the stand alone and watched some utube on it also. just wasn't sure if a direct take out would run this to fire it on the stand, then I was going to send it in to get it re flashed to my mods. the v.a.ts need turned off first from what I gather. I knew the 5.3 can be bored to the 5.7, but I chose the .030 to get the 331c.i. in favor of the old 327. I know the bore/stroke are completely different, as well as everything else. To late to change the pistons the shop already has it on the table.
Im just trying to get something put together relatively cheap for my first ls build-to learn on. basicly a top end and a turbo. maybe 500-600hp range. should be easly done.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice how these days we say things like "V8," "just put together something cheap," and "turbo" in the same conversation. Times have surely changed in the last few years!

Check this guy out:

Old 06-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Teching In

yeah, hes a good one. i just seen the video last night!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: missing stuff