New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy is it to "delete" EGR from your PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How easy is it to "delete" EGR from your PCM?

(1998 WS6 Trans Am A4; 40,000 miles.) What I mean is, I've been wanting to clean up my engine bay, and one day I'm going to be going for the FAST air-intake manifold. If I were to remove the big obnoxious EGR going into the throttle body, would I start having codes or performance issues? And if so, am I able to just buy a cord for my laptop and switch something off so it no longer effects the car? I'm going to have the car tuned by Frost eventually, but in the meanwhile can I just use block off plates and turn it off in the PCM?

By the way, my state has no inspections of any kind, so emission stuff is completely meaningless to me.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

EGR can be "turned off" in the PCM without any issue, but you would need tuning software to do so. The cheapest method would be to pay for a basic tune just to get the emissions codes deleted. If you don't want to do the tune now then you could always just live with the SES light (a non-issue since you don't have emissions inspection), but then you won't know if other codes have popped up for unrelated issues. Not really a big deal since you can always just scan for additional codes if you start having unrelated issues with the car, but it's just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Took all my EGR/AIR emissions crap out, threw a bunch of errors unsurprisingly. Sent my PCM over to Frost for a mail order tune, came back no errors and just passed emissions. So yea it's pretty easy, also you pick up a lot of drivability and a few hp with a Frost tune
Old 08-26-2016, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll throw codes and mess with performance as your engine tries to compensate for those codes. Once its tuned out it'll go back to normal. Only way to do it though is through tuning software. Your cheapest bet being to send it to Frost or any of the other mail order tune guys. The more expensive way is to buy your own copy of hptuners (or efi live) for the eventuality that you end up going down the rabbit hole chasing upgrades.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
It'll throw codes and mess with performance as your engine tries to compensate for those codes.
It won't mess with performance nor will there be any compensating for those particular codes.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to "delete" EGR from your PCM?