New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Trans Am Lq9 Build Advice

Old 09-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans Am Lq9 Build Advice

I currently have a 98 trans am with a lq9 in it. My overall goal is to probably go boost but not sure what to do. Im looking for advice on all motor or boost build. Would like to keep somewhat of a budget build in mind but do want it right. I would like to be putting 600+ plus down.

Current mods

lq9
ls6 intake
ms4 cam
patriot double lift 650 springs
ported 241's
ls2 rotating assembly
lt's
36# injectors

Built t56
8.8 rearend

It is currently putting down 437hp and 454tq with a decent tune but I would like to see what my options are. I know of a few things to change off the bat, but don't want to do that till I figure my build.

Any advice, recommendation, or parts for sale would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Nice car man, I the color

How much do you have to spend?

A turbo build is going to get a little pricey, but will help if you can fab your hot/cold side and use truck manifolds then it'll cut down on price alot. I think overall that it is the most cost per hp and always will be ready for more power by turning the boost up.

Assuming you are using the rotating assembly you have, then you can just gap the rings for boost. The costly part will depend on how much power you are wanting to make. If you use those heads, you may want to use meth or e85 if you can because of compression with you flat top pistons. Or you can throw some 317's on there, but your compression will drop around 9.7:1? unless you mill them. You can make that much power with your 241's too. When I had my ls1 I made 529rwhp/529rwtq on just 9psi 11 deg of timing. It would have made easily 600rwhp with the 241's, but it was a sbe ls1 and we didn't want to push it.

Go with a boost friendly cam and use your ls6 intake. You'll need bigger injectors and possibly a fuel pump depending on what you're running now. With a bigger bore you'll have to get a turbo that doesn't choke out on backpressure. Like the Turbonetics tc78 I have runs out of steam around 5700rpm's on my ls1 and 5500 on my 6.0 So the 7875 would have suited me better. But it will still make the kind of power you're looking for pretty easy.

I like the Huron Speed kit, but if you were to piece it together, here's a rough list of most of the things you'll need to get an idea.

Heads (not a must)
Turbo cam
Turbo
Hot side/Cold side piping
Truck manifolds
Injectors
Fuel Pump (depending what you're running now)
Boost controller
AFR gauge
2 or 3 bar map sensor
Pusher fans
Catch can (not a must, but recommended)
Vacuum block (not a must, but makes things easier)
Tubular K-Member if have A/C and plan on keeping it
BOV
Wastegate
Heat wrap for hotside
Intercooler

Last edited by Deeohgie69; 09-09-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I run a LQ9 with a cam very similar to the MS4, but with PRC 5.3 heads. I know it loves nitrous lol
Old 09-11-2016, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I wasn't too keen on color at first but it's grown on me. I've looked at doing ls3 heads with proper cam intake setup if I go that route, but I feel like boost is best option.

Money wise I'd like to keep it 5k if possible, not sure if I'm smoking Crack or not lol. Thing is, if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right.

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Nice car man, I the color

How much do you have to spend?

A turbo build is going to get a little pricey, but will help if you can fab your hot/cold side and use truck manifolds then it'll cut down on price alot. I think overall that it is the most cost per hp and always will be ready for more power by turning the boost up.

Assuming you are using the rotating assembly you have, then you can just gap the rings for boost. The costly part will depend on how much power you are wanting to make. If you use those heads, you may want to use meth or e85 if you can because of compression with you flat top pistons. Or you can throw some 317's on there, but your compression will drop around 9.7:1? unless you mill them. You can make that much power with your 241's too. When I had my ls1 I made 529rwhp/529rwtq on just 9psi 11 deg of timing. It would have made easily 600rwhp with the 241's, but it was a sbe ls1 and we didn't want to push it.

Go with a boost friendly cam and use your ls6 intake. You'll need bigger injectors and possibly a fuel pump depending on what you're running now. With a bigger bore you'll have to get a turbo that doesn't choke out on backpressure. Like the Turbonetics tc78 I have runs out of steam around 5700rpm's on my ls1 and 5500 on my 6.0 So the 7875 would have suited me better. But it will still make the kind of power you're looking for pretty easy.

I like the Huron Speed kit, but if you were to piece it together, here's a rough list of most of the things you'll need to get an idea.

Heads (not a must)
Turbo cam
Turbo
Hot side/Cold side piping
Truck manifolds
Injectors
Fuel Pump (depending what you're running now)
Boost controller
AFR gauge
2 or 3 bar map sensor
Pusher fans
Catch can (not a must, but recommended)
Vacuum block (not a must, but makes things easier)
Tubular K-Member if have A/C and plan on keeping it
BOV
Wastegate
Heat wrap for hotside
Intercooler
Old 09-11-2016, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mx512racer
Thanks! I wasn't too keen on color at first but it's grown on me. I've looked at doing ls3 heads with proper cam intake setup if I go that route, but I feel like boost is best option.

Money wise I'd like to keep it 5k if possible, not sure if I'm smoking Crack or not lol. Thing is, if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right.
What kind of transmission do you have, m6 or 4l60e? If you don't have to build your trans to hold the power, then it's doable on a 5k budget, especially if you fab up your hot and cold side piping.

I went with the boost option for the same reason you mentioned. In the long run I can get all the power I want as long as the motor can hold it. If you ever decide to make big power, then throw a different turbo on your setup and you're golden. But I figured out how much money it was going to cost me for a nice set of heads and a fast intake. Then I figured about how much rwhp I'd be at and it just made sense to go the boosted route. Plus I liked the idea of being able to drive around on the lowest boost setting and keep it around 450rwhp and then turn it up with the push of a button.

I looked at it like this, I would have only been around 450-460rwhp with heads and cam. Even if it would have hit 500rwhp with it n/a, you can easily make 700-750rwhp depending on what turbo you go with. I just couldn't justify the price of heads, intake, tb, etc.. after that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Trans Am Lq9 Build Advice