Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LS rebuild, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LS rebuild, need some help

Hello, first of all I want to say that ice been lurking on this forum for a long time but I decided to jump in and pulled a 2006 LQ4 from a 2500HD a few weeks ago.

So the engine is torn down and I have 2 quick questions before I start the rebuild. I have found the small circular peices (4 in total) on the ground beneath the block as I work, but I've never seen them in the block. To me they look to be either a dowel or a crush sleeve of some sort, I'm hoping someone can tell me where they go or if they are even necessary.

Secondly after searching the best way I could see to clean the deck surface was fine scotchbrite pads and a solvent ( I used both varsol and Pinesol) I went through 8 pads but could only get the deck what I would deem mostly clean. There are no pieces of gasket left, just a dark discolouration around some of the water jackets.

Thank you for any advice/input.

David
Old 09-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for First LS Build

Hello, I just wanted to say that I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and I finally decided to take the plunge and pull an LQ4 from a 2006 2500HD.

I have 2 questions, firstly I have noticed four small, thin, round metal pieces that were laying on the floor underneath the engine while I was working on it. I don't know what where they are from or even if they are necessary. They look to me like some sort of sleeve or dowel.

Secondly, I have gone through 8 scotchbrite pads and multiple solvents cleaning the deck surface and I just wanted to know if I should continue working away at it. There are no pieces of gasket remaining but there are some darker areas especially around the water jackets that will not clean up. I plan on using Felpro LQ4 replacement head gasket and dont want any issues.

Thank you very much.

David
Attached Thumbnails First LS rebuild, need some help-img_6766.jpg   First LS rebuild, need some help-img_6775.jpg   First LS rebuild, need some help-img_6776.jpg   First LS rebuild, need some help-img_6777.jpg   First LS rebuild, need some help-img_6778.jpg  

Quick Reply: First LS rebuild, need some help