New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ws6 Hood

Old 10-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ws6 Hood

Im new to this page. I'm looking at purchasing a WS6 hood but not 100% if it's original. I've heard that the fake or knock off ram air hoods don't fit well. Like Over lapping the front bumper and not fitting well.
What are some ways to tell if it's a oem hood?
I have pictures of the hood this guy is selling!
Id just like to know before I spend some money on a hood

Old 10-04-2016, 01:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Based on those pictures, that appears to be an OEM hood to me. Usually the aftermarket ones are pretty easy to spot based on how the scoops blend into the hood and how the openings are shaped. But it would be best to get some pictures of the underside as well, including the area where the scoops would meet the air box.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM ram air hoods should have the "ram air" decal on them on the sides of the nostrils. easy way to spot a true OEM hood if its there, even faded it leaves a mark.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by usnfenix
OEM ram air hoods should have the "ram air" decal on them on the sides of the nostrils. easy way to spot a true OEM hood if its there, even faded it leaves a mark.
Those decals are easily removed, and there wouldn't be any fading if they were removed early in the car's life. Also the hood could have been repainted at some point.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

true but at least its one way of identifying. Ive never seen a car had it peel off tho, mine looks factory fresh and its 18 years old. Must be a geographical location thing
Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Another vote for it being an oem gm hood.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Hood

Correct me if im wrong but, Aftermarket hoods usually do NOT have that trim line or insert line around the nostrils. That hood appears to be oem.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Thank your guys for the input.
He did give me a picture of the rpo codes on the door and it does say ws6
Also the rear badge. But that's what I was looking for it saying ram air on the hood
And questioning it!
I think you right about the trim on the nostrils

Either way I need to paint it black.
The Guy wants $700 bucks. Not sure if I should get a knock off one.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

true but at least its one way of identifying. Ive never seen a car had it peel off tho, mine looks factory fresh and its 18 years old. Must be a geographical location thing
I was thinking more along the lines of an owner having removed it purposefully. A friend of mine bought a black '02 WS6 back in October of '01. He didn't like the decals and removed them when the car was probably about one year old. Even on black paint, there was zero visible fading in such a short time and you never would have known the decal was there. Not to mention the fact that these decals could also have been added to an aftermarket hood.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Would there be a part number or some sort on the inside of the hood that would be on the vin or rpo code?
Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I was thinking more along the lines of an owner having removed it purposefully. A friend of mine bought a black '02 WS6 back in October of '01. He didn't like the decals and removed them when the car was probably about one year old. Even on black paint, there was zero visible fading in such a short time and you never would have known the decal was there. Not to mention the fact that these decals could also have been added to an aftermarket hood.
true, personally I don't mind the decals but it is a personal preference.

OP if the RPO code says ws6 I see little reason why someone would take a ws6 car's OEM hood and replace it with a non OEM ws6 style hood.

And I would stay away from aftermarket hoods youll want the fit of an OEM. see if you cant drive over and mount the hood on your car real fast, I cant imagine it being that difficult of an install and if hes a motivated seller then he should work with you, especially seeing as how its 700 bucks
Old 10-05-2016, 02:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

OP if the RPO code says ws6 I see little reason why someone would take a ws6 car's OEM hood and replace it with a non OEM ws6 style hood.
I agree, I've always liked them and left mine in place. It just stuck in my head that someone else had removed them so early in their car's life, I'm sure some others have done this as well.

I also agree that there is little doubt about this particular hood based on those pictures and the fact that the car appears to be an original WS6. Some pictures of the underside would be a final confirmation though.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

And I would stay away from aftermarket hoods youll want the fit of an OEM. see if you cant drive over and mount the hood on your car real fast, I cant imagine it being that difficult of an install and if hes a motivated seller then he should work with you, especially seeing as how its 700 bucks
Sheeeeit, the factory hoods fit like garbage. Actually all of the panels fit like garbage, lol. Driver door rubs my fender. Hood rubs my front bumper. Clean, unmolested low mile car. It's a black car and the hood doesn't even match under certain lighting and angles.

I agree that that probably is a factory hood OP. While there is more than one possible reason for the ram air stickers to be gone the first one I think of is that the hood was damaged and repainted. And I'm not thrilled about the cracking and/or chipping on the front of that thing. I'm not saying it's junk but I'd inspect it really well for signs of previous damage. I realize that a lot of people don't know how to very well. Just look it over really good at different angles. If you find anything you can point it out to the seller and haggle if you're still OK with it. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Sheeeeit, the factory hoods fit like garbage. Actually all of the panels fit like garbage, lol. Driver door rubs my fender. Hood rubs my front bumper. Clean, unmolested low mile car. It's a black car and the hood doesn't even match under certain lighting and angles.

I agree that that probably is a factory hood OP. While there is more than one possible reason for the ram air stickers to be gone the first one I think of is that the hood was damaged and repainted. And I'm not thrilled about the cracking and/or chipping on the front of that thing. I'm not saying it's junk but I'd inspect it really well for signs of previous damage. I realize that a lot of people don't know how to very well. Just look it over really good at different angles. If you find anything you can point it out to the seller and haggle if you're still OK with it. Good luck!
Dang man, sorry to hear that. Do you think the previous owner jacked it up in the wrong spot under the front fender? I've read where that tweaks the front fender out of place where it hits the door. Did the carfax come back clean? Mine all fit perfect on my car and it's low mileage and clean title, so it's never been in a body shop to get fixed before I owned it.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

I think the pinch weld is a little tweaked where you are talking about, so it's a possibility. I have seen other cars with the same rubbing issue, could be factory or could be what you are talking about. Car fax was clean. I did body work when I was younger and went to look at the car with my brother-in-law who still does and is a master. We both agreed nothing on this car had been painted, fixed or even taken off. Who knows. It's not very noticeable BTW, just annoying because I basically paid perfect car price for one that wasn't quite. But after months of searching I was fine with it, like I said, barely noticeable.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I think the pinch weld is a little tweaked where you are talking about, so it's a possibility. I have seen other cars with the same rubbing issue, could be factory or could be what you are talking about. Car fax was clean. I did body work when I was younger and went to look at the car with my brother-in-law who still does and is a master. We both agreed nothing on this car had been painted, fixed or even taken off. Who knows. It's not very noticeable BTW, just annoying because I basically paid perfect car price for one that wasn't quite. But after months of searching I was fine with it, like I said, barely noticeable.
If I remember right, it's a pretty easy fix if that's what it is. Is the ground effect right below the little air vent behind the front tire sticking out a little farther than where it meets the door at the bottom? If it is, I think you just have to bend that bottom tabs underneath with vice grips I believe? But I can't remember exactly what it said. Found the link for it https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...-door-gap.html

I'm the same way as you, because even if it's barely noticeable, it bothers me because I know it's there lol. I bought mine with 11,613 mi on it and the guy that owned it had it under some type of tent deal in his backyard. The wind blew it over and it put a nickel sized dent right above the gas cap to the left and it wasn't that noticeable, but it was the first thing I saw every time I walked out to the car. Needless to say, it was the best $75 I ever spent in my life to have it popped out and you can't even tell where it was now.

Edit: Added link to improper jacking
Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Dang man, sorry to hear that. Do you think the previous owner jacked it up in the wrong spot under the front fender? I've read where that tweaks the front fender out of place where it hits the door. Did the carfax come back clean? Mine all fit perfect on my car and it's low mileage and clean title, so it's never been in a body shop to get fixed before I owned it.
I agree. They didn't rub like this when brand new, at least not any of mine. I bought my '00 WS6 and '99 Z28 brand new and neither one had any rubbing issues between the door and fender (or anywhere else). Neither did my '98 or '02 that I bought used. A shop was not careful with my '02 once and bent those tabs, after which I had issues with fitment until I corrected it.

Those fender tabs are easy to bend and nobody thinks to even inspect that prior to buying unless they know exactly what they are looking for. Overall, the rubbing is not normal IMO and some fender alignment correction is likely needed due to even minor bending of that tab.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinreed
Thank your guys for the input.
He did give me a picture of the rpo codes on the door and it does say ws6
Also the rear badge. But that's what I was looking for it saying ram air on the hood
And questioning it!
I think you right about the trim on the nostrils

Either way I need to paint it black.
The Guy wants $700 bucks. Not sure if I should get a knock off one.
From the pictures that hood is 100% oem. The oem WS6 hood is made from SMC and is some what heavier than a aftermarket fiberglass hood. $700 is not a bad price for a oem hood. The only way to find a cheaper hood is if it has damage. Buy the oem hood and don't look back!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree. They didn't rub like this when brand new, at least not any of mine. I bought my '00 WS6 and '99 Z28 brand new and neither one had any rubbing issues between the door and fender (or anywhere else). Neither did my '98 or '02 that I bought used. A shop was not careful with my '02 once and bent those tabs, after which I had issues with fitment until I corrected it.

Those fender tabs are easy to bend and nobody thinks to even inspect that prior to buying unless they know exactly what they are looking for. Overall, the rubbing is not normal IMO and some fender alignment correction is likely needed due to even minor bending of that tab.
I came across a thread about this and then a forum friend did an update on his low mile TA thread where he documented how he fixed it. I did check mine real quick at that point and they were bent and I could see when looking that things didn't line up quite right at the bottom of the fender. Fixing it is on the to-do list. Not sure if it will help with the rubbing but it sounds like it may.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Dang man, sorry to hear that. Do you think the previous owner jacked it up in the wrong spot under the front fender?
this.

My 98 has no fitment issues and is a low mile car, I jack it in the correct spots because ive seen what improper jacking can do. Ive also seen first hand someone use a lift but had their doors open slightly during lifting and this caused them to misalign.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ws6 Hood