New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would insurance be for me.....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How much would insurance be for me.....?

Im 16 (six-teen) and have been driving legally with my license since November of 2003. Me and my Dad are looking for an M6 LS1 Z(28) because im giving him my 92 GMC truck and ive always drooled over LS1 F-bodies and ill be the youngest and only child graduating highschool since my sisters dropped out years ago . Well my price range is $10,000 the most.

.....But anyways Do u guys have any idea what ill be paying for insurance. I just would like to see an estimate. I have an absolutely clean record (because ive been driving for only about 8 months ) so what im asking......what would u estimate i would be paying a month

16 (turning 17 in october 13th )
LS1 Z28 6-speed
'98-'99'ish because all the years over that are too expensive for me
50k-80k miles

Appreicate it guys, i joined this forum about a week ago and have been stuck reading all the kill stories till about 5 a.m. because i find it facinating just love hearing how ricers get owned buy f-bods and stangs (i kinda like stangs a LITTLE also) I hope u guys dont get pissed off or ignore me because im only 16 and getting an f-bod. I think i really deserve an ls1 car and no a fair share of knowledge when it comes to cars (but not too much).

U will all probably be seeing me asking annoying questions. (sorry )

Keep up the great work guys, this forum is kik ***!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Full coverage, with a $500 deductible, I'm guessing $200 a month.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im the same age (17, 18 in November) and I pay about $295.00 for my 99 Trans Am, its a tough price but I still manage. Plus, factor in the price of wanting to mod like crazy
Old 06-21-2004, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Hey Jimbo,

I can't tell where you live..but if it's in California, pm me, I work at Eastwood Insurance and could probably find a policy that fits your needs :-D

But yeah, expect to pay A LOT for insurance. ESPECIALLY if its full coverage.
16..and less than a year driving experience..you're looking at around $100-$200 a month for liability and in the $300 a month range for full coverage.

I suggest you put the GMC and the Camaro on the same policy. You'll get a multi-car discount which will drive your payments lower. Also, if you guys own a house, try getting a quote through the company that provides you with your homeowner insurance, they usually give nice discounts.

ALSO...I don't know how long you've have been insured for, but A LOT of insurance companies give discounts to people who are currently insured or who have been insured for at least six months with the last month NOT ending after 30 days from the date of the new policy start.

Any more questions, PM me.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

By the way..Im 20 with 1 ticket (still qualify for good driver discount) and full coverage costs me $220 a month.

But then again, I live in L.A....it's not the MOST insurance friendly city in the country.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Launching!

thanx for answering my question guys, and travis, i live in south florida unfortunately but thanx for the extra help and offering. Since ill be living with my mom and my parents are divorced, my dad wants me to put it in my moms name. $200-$300 would'nt be too bad for me to pay per month. Since i wont be paying for the car, ill only have to pay the insurance. Thanx guys for all ur help. Ill also be wanting to mod the car (when i get it ) lol, im so far ahead of myself since this will be my first fast car. The fastest car i have ever DRIVEN was my sisters ex-boyfriends car and we are good friends, (2000 Mustang GT with exhuast and alot of bolt-ons) but i just cant wait. Thanx for the help everyone and also for not giving me any negative comments!!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

If you want your insurance to be "CHEAP"...put it SOLELY in your mom's name. Just make sure she DOESNT tell the insurance company that she has a son.

They can only deny you coverage if you are EXCLUDED from the policy. I know its shady, but it works. And yeah, you didnt hear this from me, believe it or not, I could lose my insurance license because of that.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im 19 with 2 tickets on my record (speeding of course) and mine is about 230 a month for full coverage...the car is in my parents name because if it was in mine it would have been 750 a month!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:48 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you might think you deserve an ls1 but should you have one no. especially, not even having a year of driving under your belt and then to go from a truck (which you should keep) to a ~300rwhp 6sp high performance car. and already reading the kill stories....

but hey, what do i know....
Old 06-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Restricted User

hey pacman travis ..... does that insurence trick work in NJ as well ? Im looking to get an F body in the very near future but im afriad ins is gonna kill me specially in NJ (yay for #1 in ins cost heh )
Old 06-22-2004, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

NJ car insurance sucks. It helps to have a beater as your 'primary driver' to help with the multi-car discounts and the F-body as your 'pleasure use only' car. Your best bet is to keep the car in your dad's name and list you as a 'driver'
Old 06-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Restricted User

yah thats kinda what im doing now.. i got a 1975 Bricklin sv1 (5.8 liter) on my parents name and me as a 10% driver but its really my car and a 78 chevy nova (6 cyl pos) as the daily beater. heh you know anyone around selling some good m6 t top F bodies greatwhite?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrp
you might think you deserve an ls1 but should you have one no. especially, not even having a year of driving under your belt and then to go from a truck (which you should keep) to a ~300rwhp 6sp high performance car. and already reading the kill stories....

but hey, what do i know....
Aside from agreeing with jrp...

Asking here isn't going to do you any good. There are too many variables based on coverage limits, location, records, state laws etc. It's incredibly easy and painless to call your family's insurance agent and ask what it would cost. The only way you'll get a decent rate is to be part of your family's plan. However, there's no charge for calling around for insurance quotes and most will give you the number in minutes, if not at least later that day.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robj
hey you know anyone around selling some good m6 t top F bodies greatwhite?
hey man, ive been looking around www.autotrader.com because the autotrader magzines suck and dont tell u if theirs a good deal 50 miles away. Ive been looking at so many camaros on that site . Im going to fax a couple of cars to my dads house so he can see them and i can show him what im looking for.

JRP, my moms brother was killed in a '90 T/A so when it comes down to me picking out a fast car she got really nervous at first. HER plan was for me to attain at least 1 year of college when i get my car but my dad just sold his small business. He actually asked me if i wanted to get a car. I didnt ask him, so i of course said HELL YEAH. So i talked it over with my mom last night (thinking she would be pissed that im getting one early) and she said "is it going to have T-tops?" and i was like yeah and she said OK then u can get it. She was so cool about it.

absolute speed, i know but i just wanted to have an IDEA of what the insurance would be and if I'D be able to pay for it.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pacmantravis
If you want your insurance to be "CHEAP"...put it SOLELY in your mom's name. Just make sure she DOESNT tell the insurance company that she has a son.

They can only deny you coverage if you are EXCLUDED from the policy. I know its shady, but it works. And yeah, you didnt hear this from me, believe it or not, I could lose my insurance license because of that.

Um, many companies will deny coverage(not pay) if you do that.
They also run driver reports that show any licensed drivers in the household.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I'm 18, 19 in August, have a 70 in a 55 zone speeding ticket on my record, and am the only driver on the policy and pay $240 a month on my 99 T/A. That's through Direct General of North Carolina.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Launching!

If you do what he suggests, and put the insurance in your mom's name without you on there at all, not tell the insurance company that you drive if for your own vehicle...you'll get in trouble.

If you can't afford it, and all the other incidental expenses that go with it (insurance, etc), don't get it. You should be getting a car like this at 16, or 17, even 18 anyways. Add in the fact that you and others as young just getting these cars are reading kill stories....makes me want to stay off the road.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimm
If you do what he suggests, and put the insurance in your mom's name without you on there at all, not tell the insurance company that you drive if for your own vehicle...you'll get in trouble.

If you can't afford it, and all the other incidental expenses that go with it (insurance, etc), don't get it. You should be getting a car like this at 16, or 17, even 18 anyways. Add in the fact that you and others as young just getting these cars are reading kill stories....makes me want to stay off the road.
Dont worry, i live in south florida

I guess i am somewhat of a responsible driver being that i have been driving solo for little over a year because i usually drove without my parents when i had my restricted. Havent gotten a ticket or even stopped before.

ut yeah i would think you would get in trouble for "Insurance Fraud" for doing the following correct? Im just going to have to pay straight up i guess. I would hate for my parents to pay for everything because id feel like a little rich bastard which I am far from. I just got called in for an interview from Publix today so i finally have a REAL job instead of working at my dads business in itchy *** fiberglass and breathing in chemicals there. I work my *** off there and get $8.00 under the table which isnt bad. Its not to bad working there but a cant work there while im at school because he closes the shop at 4 p.m. Hopefully i will have enough money to mod the car. Tis' gonna be a bitch with gas and insurance but i dont care, im willing to suck dick for a couple bux.

just kidding about that^^
Old 06-23-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

First off, call up your insurance agent, and find out all the student driver discounts they offer. Im with state farm, and when i was in highschool, I got up to 25% off my rate from these.
One was a 10% discount for passing Drivers Ed or driving instruction classes. Drivers Ed was booked, so i had to pay for about 6 lessons ($300).
Another was the good student discount which was 15%. I had to keep an A-B average for this, and had to show my agent my report cards everytime i got them.
I dont know why, but I dropped out before I turned 17, and gotta GED, but still kept the discounts.

Heres the big "discount". Have your dad as the primary driver of the Z28, and you as the sole driver of the GMC pickup. But they will have to make it where you are included in the insurance of the Z28, and they are included on the GMC.
I used to do this back in my teens on several cars, and I saved ALOT of money.
Now im only 22 with a clean record (no tickets in 5 years, no wrecks of my fault in 6 years), and I pay $59 a month on my '98 Z28 with a $1000 deductible full coverage, and like $30 a month on a '92 lumina 4door with liability insurance.
not bad
Old 06-23-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Jimbo-

Im 17 and I can tell you there is a lot of **** that comes when driving this kinda car at such a young age. I got my car when I was 16.5 so I had about the same solo experience as you. Grant it, before this car I had a '95 Z28, so I was used to a little extra power. Heres some advice:

1)Dont listen to your friends when they're in the car. All they will do is get you into **** because they're bastards.
2)Keep your foot out of the gas pedal (most of the time) because that just eats gas and attracts cops
3) RESPECT THE POWER. The first time you get sideways in your car because you were showing off/screwing around/etc. could be your last. When I first got my car my dad took me to an empty parking lot and said "Go". I got it out of my system then and havent done anything stupid since. These cars are meant to be fun, but just be careful. Cops LOVE kids like us. I know most of our damn police force simply because of the car I drive. They just keep a closer eye on you. Like I said, dont be stupid, and the cops will leave you alone, simple as that. Drive the car like you would any other, and you will be fine. What keeps me from doing stupid **** is the fact that if I get a ticket or get in an accident, I lose the car. I put too much money and love into the car, so I dont want that. Hope this helps you out, coming from a fellow LS1-kid.

Back to the original topic, I pay $200 a month, $500 deductible, full coverage, in Northern California. Good luck bro.

Justin