New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Tech Newbie, Looking for Advice !?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Tech Newbie, Looking for Advice !?!?!?

Hey guys, I'm new to the LS world and I don't know a whole lot about building a LS Hybrid. My planned build is a Hyundai Genesis Coupe that will have between 350 - 375 HP and similar numbers for torque. I have checked out the thread on the Genesis Hybrid and that's really what go me interested in the idea.

I've got a line right now on a L33 block with OE ECU and wiring harness, and as expected the engine will need some work done at a machine shop.

What sorts of things am I looking for about the engine that would be deal breakers or non-starters?

What sorts of things am I looking to tell an engine shop in order to get the engine ready for heads and manifolds? I'm looking to put on a set of LS6 heads and intake manifold. (any better ideas are also welcome) What would be an average bill that I would look to see coming from the shop to get the work done. (understanding that it will depend on what work needs to be done)

I figure that's a good jumping off point for this thread and I hope that it will get lots of publicity. No advice is bad advice when you're new to the game I guess.

Cheers
Old 11-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If it needs machine work, I would just look for a different engine.
You can usually buy a running LS engine for the cost of typical machine work.
For example, the 4.8 going in my vette was a complete running pullout with wiring/ecu, all accessories, manifolds, starter, and flexplate for $350. Deals do pop up if you have a couple of months to wait for them.

The fact that you found an L33 could be good or bad. Some people refer to every aluminum 5.3 as an L33 which is definitely not the case. Also, an L33 comes with LS6 heads from the factory, which you will now have to spend a good chunk on.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
If it needs machine work, I would just look for a different engine.
You can usually buy a running LS engine for the cost of typical machine work.
For example, the 4.8 going in my vette was a complete running pullout with wiring/ecu, all accessories, manifolds, starter, and flexplate for $350. Deals do pop up if you have a couple of months to wait for them.
Hey thanks for the response,
My mistake, the engine did come out of a running vehicle. I was just under the understanding that in order to prolong the effective use of the engine and ensure performance it was recommended to have some light machining done, is that not the case?

With respect to the L33 whole engine, I believe it came out of a truck. Would that not mean that it would come with a different head and intake manifold?

Cheers
Old 11-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Restricted User

The L33 is a truck engine, it was never available in a car. It was only available from 05-07.

If it ran, had good oil pressure and compression, you could do more harm than good with unnecessary machine work.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks, so would you recommend any poslishing or that sort of thing?
Old 11-08-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic Haines
Hey guys, I'm new to the LS world and I don't know a whole lot about building a LS Hybrid. My planned build is a Hyundai Genesis Coupe that will have between 350 - 375 HP and similar numbers for torque. I have checked out the thread on the Genesis Hybrid and that's really what go me interested in the idea.

I've got a line right now on a L33 block with OE ECU and wiring harness, and as expected the engine will need some work done at a machine shop.

What sorts of things am I looking for about the engine that would be deal breakers or non-starters?

What sorts of things am I looking to tell an engine shop in order to get the engine ready for heads and manifolds? I'm looking to put on a set of LS6 heads and intake manifold. (any better ideas are also welcome) What would be an average bill that I would look to see coming from the shop to get the work done. (understanding that it will depend on what work needs to be done)

I figure that's a good jumping off point for this thread and I hope that it will get lots of publicity. No advice is bad advice when you're new to the game I guess.

Cheers
I think you are way over complicating things for such a low hp goal. A bone stock LS1 will make 350rwhp through LT headers, and good exhaust, which you will be using since you are doing a swap anyway. Add a baby cam (and supporting mods) and you are looking at 375rwhp pretty easily. A bolt on LS6 or LS2 will be over 350rwhp as well.
I would try and find a clean LS1, LS6 or LS2 for cheap somewhere and swap it in. Minimal engine work and will save a ton of time and headaches.
No need for an iron block either, you are adding 100lbs of unnecessary weight over the front end of a light balanced sports car.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I think you are way over complicating things for such a low hp goal. A bone stock LS1 will make 350rwhp through LT headers, and good exhaust, which you will be using since you are doing a swap anyway. Add a baby cam (and supporting mods) and you are looking at 375rwhp pretty easily. A bolt on LS6 or LS2 will be over 350rwhp as well.
I would try and find a clean LS1, LS6 or LS2 for cheap somewhere and swap it in. Minimal engine work and will save a ton of time and headaches.
No need for an iron block either, you are adding 100lbs of unnecessary weight over the front end of a light balanced sports car.
Thanks, that helps. I've been looking for a donor engine but I've been coming up empty handed, that's why I started looking at this L33 that pretty much landed in my lap.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Restricted User

The L33 is a unicorn in the LS world.
If it doesn't need machine work, DON'T TOUCH IT.

Its a shame you are only getting the short block, since it came with the LS6/LS2 heads already. Those suckers aren't cheap.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Just a bit more information on that L33 that I have a line on. The donor engine was pulled from the donor because it was old and consumed a bit of oil, not because of failure. The current owner said "It was used on a farm so it probably spent a lot of time idling which is generally the first cause of excessive oil consumption." There are no cracks or anything in either the block or the heads (799 Heads). He also said "You couldn't rebuild it and run it. The motor is fully aged, ~240k KMs were on it. Alternator, wiring harness and ECU come with it, those alone are worth more than the asking price" He suggested that the motor needs to be rebuilt, (new pistons, machined liners, etc.) It's just a core to use to build up. He also mentioned L33's are very rare and usually expensive because of their aluminium closed deck construction.

Any further insights are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 11-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Restricted User

Worst case, I would take it apart, and if the cylinder walls looks OK then give it a ball-hone and put new rings on the pistons and put it all back together.

799 heads are the same as the 243 castings that were used on the LS2/LS6.

New liners? You might as well source another block. The machine work on new liners is going to be expensive. I've yet to see anyone have to replace liners on an L33 unless they were having ERL open it up for a 427 shortblock.

Quick Reply: LS Tech Newbie, Looking for Advice !?!?!?