New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knees sits low, how dependable are they?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knees sits low, how dependable are they?

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
They sit low.
clutch hydraulic throwout bearing are they problematic?
Bone stock driven normal will the engine tranny go over 200,000 miles?
Are copressors expensive and is it worth it to fix a.c. system? Has value remained ?
What are they worth? How sought out are they? is an old one 4th gen just a worthless old used car value wise?
Stock wise can they be dependable?Are the 5th gens better ? if so how? 4th gens looks sleeker smaller lower and faster then 5th gens are they? How many 4th gen ls-1s are left? Arent the lt1-s better in lotta ways?? Would you recommend to anyone to buy one?
Attached Thumbnails Knees sits low, how dependable are they?-dsc00557.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I... the LT1 is not better in any way ever at any time for any purpose in the history of existence. Unless you like having satan's prank the Optispark sit behind a water pump. I really can't make out anything else you said.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

What?
Old 11-19-2016, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 11-19-2016, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Go sleep it off and try again tomorrow....
Old 11-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bone stock driven normal will the engine tranny go over 200,000 miles
I don't think you'll find any car like this driven normal. I talked to my uncle the other day he said you could get 200k out of them.
Are copressors expensive and is it worth it to fix a.c. system?
If you buy the car and drive it around do you want the A.C.? I don't think this is an expensive fix and A.C. is well worth it to me.

Has value remained?
I personally think now w/ Trump in the presidency value will go up on all used cars. Because new cars will become more expensive and with more people needing transportation to work and with more people having money, more people will want used cars. But, they will never be worth more than the older cars. You must do the math and use common sense as well on miles that are on the vehicle. If it's got 200k miles it should be dirt cheap like under 2k but how much will have have to put into it? An engine, transmission, rear end rebuild and replace almost everything...Unless your making it into a track car and you will be replacing everything. And if that's the case why not buy a real classic that you will get 30k from a rebuild. It's far cheaper and easier to buy a low miles car.

What are they worth?
They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. They are a dime a dozen right now with high miles and likely abused. I think a good estimation would be
How sought out are they? is an old one 4th gen just a worthless old used car value wise?
They are cheap speed.

Stock wise can they be dependable?Are the 5th gens better ? if so how? 4th gens looks sleeker smaller lower and faster then 5th gens are they? How many 4th gen ls-1s are left? Arent the lt1-s better in lotta ways??
Not a clue.
Would you recommend to anyone to buy one?
Well I'm looking at some. I prefer the Trans Am's. ALso because there is no more pontiac and they hold value better. I see some normal trans am's w/ under 40k miles for ~11k. I think that's a decent buy. I'm looking at a WS6 for 10k w/ 60k miles that's likely been abused but has been rebuilt. So I plan on selling my econobox and driving this for a few years and hoping it doesn't depreciate like my econobox will.

5 years ago you could get a 1991 corvette for 3k. Now look. They've doubled in value. Look at the datsun 240's.. ect.. All going up. Look at the mustang cobra's of the late 90's. Over 15k. I think a good estimate is selling a classic sporty car w/ 100k miles for 1/4 the price of a new vehicle. But only a rare edition of such vehicle like a WS6 or Camaro SS. The non rare edition will be a few thousand lower. You get the most for all original unmodified low miles versions of these cars.

A 1991 chevy pickup w/ low miles just sold for 11k.

Example:
You buy an cavalier and it is essentially a throw away car. Once it hits 200k miles no one want's it because they are a dime a dozen and the cost to repair is greater than the value. There is no use of it. And would you rather have a cavalier or a Mustang Cobra?

But a cool car. People want to buy the cars they couldn't obtain in high school. They want to relive those moments, nostalgia. ~30years after release is the prime time to sell a vehicle. There is still use for these cars after high miles. A track car. A modded out street machine. Bragging rights. Same reason why trucks will always be expensive. People use them. Off-roading ect...

These cars WILL be worth something in the future and I will use my example again. My uncle who collects corvettes used to say the 90's corvettes will never be worth anything. I've seen them going from $3-6k a few years ago. Now they are going from 6-15k. Between 15-20 years old cars are at the bottom of thier worth. After 20 years they will slowly increase in value due to rarity, usefulness, and inflation.
//End Rant.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by YeahPete
I personally think now w/ Trump in the presidency value will go up on all used cars. Because new cars will become more expensive and with more people needing transportation to work and with more people having money, more people will want used cars.
I have no idea what this even means, makes no sense to me. However, LS1Tech does not welcome political discussion on the site, so please refrain from heading any thread in a political direction.

I prefer the Trans Am's. ALso because there is no more pontiac and they hold value better.
I don't really think this is a major factor. They were more expensive to begin with (the Pontiac F-body variants), and they are still more expensive today. Those who like the more outrageous styling are willing to pay more for it, it's really just that simple. There is also more base equipment on the Trans Am. These cars are not especially desirable to traditional Pontiac collectors because they are from the corporate engine years. There was no spike in value of the 4th gen Trans Ams when Pontiac closed shop for good.

5 years ago you could get a 1991 corvette for 3k. Now look. They've doubled in value.
I don't know where you live, but there were never decent '91 Corvettes for sale in my region for $3k. Examples in that price range almost never exist, and the ones that do/did were junk 5 years ago and are still junk today. They have not doubled in value in that time frame in my area. The price really hasn't changed much at all on the '91-'96 C4s in the last 5 years in this region.

But only a rare edition of such vehicle like a WS6 or Camaro SS.
Nothing especially rare about a WS6, at least not in comparison to the whole. In the final years, GM actually built more WS6 Trans Ams than base Trans Ams. A Formula, or especially a WS6 Formula, would be more rare. But a base Formula is not worth more than a WS6 Trans Am, all else being equal, even though it is less common and offers just as much power/same drivetrain. So rarity does not always equal increased value. It's really about supply/demand - there is greater supply of WS6 Trans Ams than of base Formulas, but there is also much greater demand. Demand will always be a greater factor in value than supply alone.

Quick Reply: Knees sits low, how dependable are they?