New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

Im new here & need help. I have 2002 Corvette (original owner). 150,000 miles, engine died. I took it a shop, had it completely rebuilt, paid $7,000+. They used the block but everything else was new. Car was in shop for a month while engine was sent to another shop. Got the car back, but oil pressure was 10 psi vs 40 normally. It just didnt seem right. Took it back couple of times, they said it was normal, replaced oil with heavier oil. Was fine when was cold engine but when warmed up oil pressure dropped and car started stuttering when I was idle, Took it back, they worked on engine some more, Got car back 3rd or 4th time, stalled 7 times on me. Got pissed, was driving back to shop & engine completely died. After month of diagnosis they said transmission was bad. Took it tranny shop, they said there were metal shavings in transmission that froze it. Paid $3,000 for rebuilt transmission. Took it back to engine place. They reconnected engine to transmission and still - wouldnt work. Two weeks later they took oil pan out & there were metal shavings in engine. What should I do and question - is there any way these shavings could have gotten to transmission? Because before I had zero issues with transmission? And what should I ask engine sop to do now? Crate engine or what? Car has been in shop 3 months on & off and Im tired of this and its cost me over $10K already. PLEASE HELP
Old 12-16-2016, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off stop doing what you have been doing. What was wrong with the original engine , why the heck was it 7k for a rebuild ? I am thinking you got hosed 10 ways till Tuesday here. Now that you are on here always ask for advice before spending money on anything.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dkarpinsky
Im new here & need help. I have 2002 Corvette (original owner). 150,000 miles, engine died. I took it a shop, had it completely rebuilt, paid $7,000+. They used the block but everything else was new.
New aftermarket or new stock parts? Hopefully good aftermarket parts and not stock parts for that kind of money, otherwise you got ripped off big time.
If its stock parts I do not see any reason at all to not reuse the stock heads as well. For $7K you could have gotten a crate engine too.

Car was in shop for a month while engine was sent to another shop. Got the car back, but oil pressure was 10 psi vs 40 normally. It just didnt seem right. Took it back couple of times, they said it was normal, replaced oil with heavier oil. Was fine when was cold engine but when warmed up oil pressure dropped and car started stuttering when I was idle, Took it back, they worked on engine some more, Got car back 3rd or 4th time, stalled 7 times on me. Got pissed, was driving back to shop & engine completely died. After month of diagnosis they said transmission was bad.
Auto or manual?
Tranny will have nothing to do with the problems you were having, sounds like you got ripped off again. What "shop" is this?
Took it tranny shop, they said there were metal shavings in transmission that froze it. Paid $3,000 for rebuilt transmission.
ALWAYS ask to see things like this, tell them to show you the pan with the metal shavings in it, the shop could possibly just be telling you this so you give them money and they may not even do anything to the transmission.
Same goes for when you had your engine rebuilt, have them show you the new parts as they go in or before they put them in to prove they are actually doing as they say they are.

Took it back to engine place. They reconnected engine to transmission and still - wouldnt work.
Because the tranny wasn't the issue...
Two weeks later they took oil pan out & there were metal shavings in engine. What should I do and question - is there any way these shavings could have gotten to transmission? Because before I had zero issues with transmission? And what should I ask engine sop to do now? Crate engine or what? Car has been in shop 3 months on & off and Im tired of this and its cost me over $10K already. PLEASE HELP
There is nothing connecting the engine oil pan to the transmission, there is no way metal shaving could have been transferred, both the engine and transmission are sealed. You have metal shavings likely because the low oil pressure destroyed the rod bearings or they simply did a hack job (or nothing at all) in the first place when they "rebuilt" it.
DO NOT go back to that shop, clearly either they don't know what they are doing or are trying to rip you off. If anything id pursue legal action against them or ask for your money back since the engine didn't last. Then go to a reputable place and have them strip it down and see whats wrong.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hire a lawyer. Pronto.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lawyer up. Or at least get a consultation so you can see what options you have.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car was in shop for a month while engine was sent to another shop. Got the car back, but oil pressure was 10 psi vs 40 normally. It just didnt seem right. Took it back couple of times, they said it was normal, replaced oil with heavier oil. Was fine when was cold engine but when warmed up oil pressure dropped and car started stuttering when I was idle, Took it back, they worked on engine some more, Got car back 3rd or 4th time, stalled 7 times on me. Got pissed, was driving back to shop & engine completely died. After month of diagnosis they said transmission was bad.
if he install new oil pump then the oil pickup tube O-ring is bad "cheap not GM" thats way u have low oil pressure

and why he took the transmission off ????

i don't think he REAL mechanic

Quick Reply: Need Help