New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much louder is LT/ORY over stock manifold/Y?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much louder is LT/ORY over stock manifold/Y?

I have a Borla catback that I have dumped before the muffler, because my car was pathetically quiet (I grew up around Harley's, straight-piped Camaros, raging C6 Z06s). It sounds a lot better this way, but I miss the quad-pipe look of having the muffler attached (instead of just the two on the right side.)

I'm going to be getting an OR-LT/ORY with all the cats and emission stuff deleted, and do you think it would be loud enough with the muffler back on? I played a few youtube videos, and it sounded nice, but you can't really tell volume on cheap cellphone mics (or with video in general without something relative.)

Eventually a cut-out would solve my problems, but I'm just hoping the manifold to LT switch makes a roaring difference.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it will sound good...the cats are a huge sound deadener.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

LT/ORY is MUCH louder than stock manifolds and cats, all else being equal. However, in your case, you're going from stock manifolds/cats with no muffler to LT/ORY with a muffler. There might not be a huge amount of volume difference, but the tone will certainly change. Cats always make the exhaust note more mellow, regardless of volume, so without them it will be much more crisp. Unfortunately, with a Y-pipe setup that crispness also comes with rasp (sort of a kazoo on crack type of sound.) Some people like rasp, some hate it. There are ways to mostly eliminate this while keeping a Y-pipe arrangement (using certain combos of bullet mufflers in the I/Y pipe, and/or a relatively quiet muffler in the stock position), or you can move to true duals for the best sound.

Ultimately, if you just want volume at any cost, then do the LTs/ORY like you plan and then get the cutout as mentioned. It will be extremely loud this way.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm awaiting my tax return to get the pipes.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

currently running LT/ORY pipe with a 3" cutout and with stock muffler with the LT1 style rectangular tips. with the cutout closed, the exhaust through the muffler/tips the sound higher where you can tell its a V8 whereas before when I had the stock manis and cats with the cutout closed the exhaust was soooo quiet and unnoticeable, but with the cutout open it sounded like it had an aftermarket muffler lol.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way way louder. Longtubes are great for hp gain but remember you will need a tune to take advantage of them. I personally like a mild/quiet exhaust then add some electric cutouts. You can be loud when you want to but respectful when needed.

I had a true dual Z28 with long-tubes once an absolutely hated it. Way to loud, you could tell people were looking at me like thinking I was compensating for something.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Custom
Way way louder. Longtubes are great for hp gain but remember you will need a tune to take advantage of them. I personally like a mild/quiet exhaust then add some electric cutouts. You can be loud when you want to but respectful when needed.

I had a true dual Z28 with long-tubes once an absolutely hated it. Way to loud, you could tell people were looking at me like thinking I was compensating for something.
Yeah, I'm going to get a tune a few months after the LT installation. I lol'd at the compensation thing... but yeah. I mean the people in my neighborhood all ride Harley's and ****, so I don't imagine they have much to say about the noise. I do plan on getting a cut-out eventually, because I've taken this car to a funeral before. (I had my muffler on, though.)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been around cars all my life and between mods my buddys have made to their cars and the few builds I have done myself the difference between stock and off road set up with no cats, expect a huge increase in noise level
Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have longtubes on my car absolutely love the power gain and the sound, my only problem is my damn y- pipe hangs low now!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have American racing long-tube headers, High flow cats and Corsa Exhaust, LOUD under power but no drone cruising. Love It...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by anchored02TA
I have longtubes on my car absolutely love the power gain and the sound, my only problem is my damn y- pipe hangs low now!
I had the same thing when I bought my car, My headers and Y pipe hung 2" from the ground.I replaced the headers and Y pipe with Speed engineering stuff. It now close to the floor board.

Quick Reply: How much louder is LT/ORY over stock manifold/Y?