New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I pick up this throttle body

Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Should I pick up this throttle body

My car is a 98 with LT's o/r y pipe, and LS6 manifold. Full bolt ons basically.

Do you all think a 92mm throttle body is worth it??
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would only buy a 92mm throttle body if I got the 92mm FAST intake to match it. I don't think the LS6 is 92mm where it mates, is it?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure. It says "This will fit your 2002 camaro" however ? lol
Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
My car is a 98 with LT's o/r y pipe, and LS6 manifold. Full bolt ons basically.

Do you all think a 92mm throttle body is worth it??
If this is all you've got this is no where close to full bolt ons.

For a question that's asked a thousand times a year, ill give the answer once again. Your car will only flow as much CFM as its smallest point in the intake track, so a car with lets say an SLP lid as most people go that route, a stock MAF and a stock TB while the lid may have an 85mm outlet, you still only flow the 78mm (correct me if im wrong I think its 75 or 78) at the bottlenecked portion of your intake system. 92mm is bigger than the inlet of the ls6 manifold, so you would have a second bottleneck there as well. Further more standard 92mm TB's are 4 bolt as they are 99% of the time bolted to a FAST intake or similar, which they were designed for. Now I do believe there are adapter plates to run a 4 bolt to a 3 bolt stock manifold but essentially you are attempting to run a part that was never intended for your current setup and thus you would see zero gain. Its basically the same as throwing drag radials on a prius, yes you've got em, but why?

Spend the money on finishing a full bolt on setup and then when your car is at the point where it can actually utilize a FAST intake go ahead and get one and get a TB to match, as well as upgrading the lid and so on. I see this all the time, people modding these cars trying to "race" to the finish by throwing the higher end parts at it out of sequence, when the car cant even utilize the dam part to its potential at that time.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the detailed explanation...LoL what would you consider "Full Bolt on's"
Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Id port the stocker or keep the ported stocker you have...Now a Ported 92/92 setup will show you some gains.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the detailed explanation...LoL what would you consider "Full Bolt on's"
Being a stickler? Ram Air, Lid, MAF, bellows, TB, Intake manifold, headers, catback, pullies, electric water pump.

Realistically (and understandably so), most people do bother with a few of those since, eventually, money becomes better allocated towards the cam swap.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Lid, intake manifold, maf, valve springs, rocker arms, full exhaust, gears, full suspension, shifter/shift kit, lighter hood, lighter seats, lighter driveshaft, clutch/tq converter, 15" drag pack with drag radials, electric water pump, catch can, underdrive pulley.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick.H
Lid, intake manifold, maf, valve springs, rocker arms, full exhaust, gears, full suspension, shifter/shift kit, lighter hood, lighter seats, lighter driveshaft, clutch/tq converter, 15" drag pack with drag radials, electric water pump, catch can, underdrive pulley.
Aren't valve springs and rocker arms internal engine, and therefore do not qualify as a bolt on?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They counted as bolt ons for years and years up until the LS1, so I still consider them bolt ons. They always were. If you go look at bolt on fast lists for 5.0 fox body's and LT1 fbodys they allowed rocker arms on the list

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I pick up this throttle body