Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Corvette engine and A4 trans stock power capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Corvette engine and A4 trans stock power capabilities

I have recently been digging through the forum and some other sources, answers seem to be all over the place, so I figured I would get some of the pros input here now.

I am curious as to what the stock c5 engine and auto trans can handle. I seem to be hearing over 500whp is pushing it. Now I know there is no magical number, but I would like to have a general idea.

The a4 trans, I have heard things all over the place as well, some even seem to say the factory ratings anything over 350whp is pushing it, so who knows? This seems to be the issue finding out clear answers on, at least from my research.

I am curious on these things, because basically I would be looking into a vortech/procharger system, and want to know that with proper tuning can the c5 engine/drivetrain/a4 even handle it?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe performabuilt or one of the other top end 4l60 performance shops just released a 1000 whp capable 4l60.

Typically you hear a lot of advice to go to a 4l80 for anything forced induction but I imagine a corvette has space/compatibility issues that the f body does not. The engine car surely handle 500hp as long as the tune has proper AFR for forced induction ( low to mid 11's vs. high 12's for NA) and enough fueling to support not only that hp level but the richer fuel density required to have a proper safety margin for fueling that FI requires.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
I believe performabuilt or one of the other top end 4l60 performance shops just released a 1000 whp capable 4l60.

Typically you hear a lot of advice to go to a 4l80 for anything forced induction but I imagine a corvette has space/compatibility issues that the f body does not. The engine car surely handle 500hp as long as the tune has proper AFR for forced induction ( low to mid 11's vs. high 12's for NA) and enough fueling to support not only that hp level but the richer fuel density required to have a proper safety margin for fueling that FI requires.

Indeed Give us a call to discuss.

http://performabuilt.com/blackedition.html

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Has a lot to do with driving habits, of course if your at the track every weekend things will need to be upgraded. As far as a blower there have been plenty of C5's running them without additional trans/engine upgrades.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a little stunned a car with an engine this size, as well as being a v8 and gm's flagship vehicle at one point be equppied with a toothpick auto trans though, cant believe this has pretty much zero room for mods if 350wtrq is the limit....so many say at least.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by zinsavage123
I am a little stunned a car with an engine this size, as well as being a v8 and gm's flagship vehicle at one point be equppied with a toothpick auto trans though, cant believe this has pretty much zero room for mods if 350wtrq is the limit....so many say at least.
Several factors are involved, not just rwtq by itself. RPM range, weight of vehicle, fluid temp and quality, and trans tuning will all play a role in longevity of the unit. High rpm shift points seem to be a big weak spot for a stock 4L60E. You can add quite a bit of power and not have rapid failure if you keep shift points at or below stock levels, and keep the fluid cool.

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette engine and A4 trans stock power capabilities