Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed engineering true duals hanging too low! Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed engineering true duals hanging too low! Help

I installed the true dual rear exit kit from speed engineering and bolted everything up tight and started the car and everything seemed fine, took it around my block that is a little bumpy and it made a few banging noises came back and looked under the car and in the mid section of the car where the x pipe is it is sitting about an inch away from the floor any ideas as to why? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Speed engineering true duals hanging too low! Help-photo266.jpg   Speed engineering true duals hanging too low! Help-photo258.jpg  
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a hole big post about this
Old 03-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Have a link?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...aust-kits.html

Here you go.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You used the stock hardware, and didn't tighten the clamps on your pipes coming off the headers enough. I can tell from looking at your clamps, they are nowhere near as tight as they need to be, that center portion should have no gaps and instead you have large spaces in-between. This in turn lets the x hang low and flex while you drive over bumps. See the thread, replace the hardware with grade 8 FULLY THREADED, push the pipes up and hold with jackstands when they are in the proper positions, and tighten the almighty hell out of the clamps. Now if your car is lowered than sorry not much you can do about that. Also if you opted to not do motor mounts when you did your header install odds are your worn out mounts are letting your pipes flex and is the cause of the banging noises. Here is mine on stock height with the SE TD's.

Last edited by usnfenix; 03-27-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

I did exactly what you just stated, grade 8 hardware jack the pipes up and tighten everything down. I'm going to put in some poly motor mounts and see if that helps at all
Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racecarz28
I did exactly what you just stated, grade 8 hardware jack the pipes up and tighten everything down. I'm going to put in some poly motor mounts and see if that helps at all
I just edited my post because I left a key thing out, your clamps are not tight at all. Look at mine, look at yours, your clamps have a large gap in that center portion the bolt threads through, mine are flush. Did you swap to fully threaded bolts? I saw a guy on here who used only 3/4 threaded and thought he was getting it tight when really it was the nut running out of thread.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Those pictures were the first time I installed it, basically the day after I went to about every hardware store to find the correct bolts and once I got them I re tightened everything and I had jacks underneath the pipes and as I finished tightening i began to let down the jacks and everything dropped back down. Not 100% sure what else I should try. I appreciate all the input and ideas.

Quick Reply: Speed engineering true duals hanging too low! Help