New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor swap with no mechanical experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap with no mechanical experience?

is it possible?

people are telling me to start small but.....comme on man
Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Union Plumber and did a full Bolton with a ms3 cam Lq9 swap. Tons of information on here.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible? Yes.

Should you? That's another question and it depends on more than just a willingness to try. Do you have access to the knowledge? Has your particular swap been done before? Is it just a remove and replace or are you modifying things? Do you have an appropriate work area? Do you have the time? Do you know how much time it should take? (Well double that and maybe triple if you've never done it before.) Do you have the right tools? Anybody willing to help you out or give direction? Do you have the skill? Do you know lefty-loosey, righty-tighty? Is it worth it with time and pride of doing it yourself out weighing the time and cost of paying some-one? (If it is just a "R and R" job you can probably get it done in a day or two for around 500-600 dollars.) Plus it will cost more for someone to rescue you from the middle of a mess than to do it from start to finish.

These are just a few of the questions you should ask yourself and if you are okay with your answers then go for it. You learn from doing and IMO this is a worthwhile thing to know.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My advice is similar to the above.

1. Is this a DD or a car you rely on in some way and need back up in a certain time frame?

2. Do you have a decent work area, that Is indoors and can be easily secured for the night and returned to on your own time?

3. Do you have the cash for the unforeseen things, like trips to ACE for hardware and tools you didn't plan for or things that break during mid-swap?

4. Do you have a friend that can help that is at least somewhat mechanically inclined or in the very least know what a ratchet is?

5. Do you have patience? (probably the biggest one of all)

Go over these points and really think on them, make sure you have all the checks in the block. The biggest thing for a newbie when attempting something like this is time, make sure you have nothing constraining you that will force you to work faster than you are comfortable with and get stressed or overlook things. I can tell you from my own installs that ive never done before, id research beforehand and think I had everything, then had to go to ACE or homedepot mid install to pick up a stupid bolt or a swivel that would help reach a stupid bolt. A motor swap can be done with your level, just take your time and go slow and do it right. READ READ READ up on it as much as you can till you feel you cant learn any more by reading and then plan it out and go at it. you'll be fine.

Oh, and get used to saying "where the **** is that ratchet I just had it"
Old 03-16-2017, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Books and YouTube are your friend. Join a car club. Take some night courses at your local tech school. Make detailed lists and plans, get a chalk board so you can see what;s left to do. Have FUN!! Meet some really nice people in this hobby...
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by corsair231
Is it possible? Yes.

Should you? That's another question and it depends on more than just a willingness to try. Do you have access to the knowledge? Has your particular swap been done before? Is it just a remove and replace or are you modifying things? Do you have an appropriate work area? Do you have the time? Do you know how much time it should take? (Well double that and maybe triple if you've never done it before.) Do you have the right tools? Anybody willing to help you out or give direction? Do you have the skill? Do you know lefty-loosey, righty-tighty? Is it worth it with time and pride of doing it yourself out weighing the time and cost of paying some-one? (If it is just a "R and R" job you can probably get it done in a day or two for around 500-600 dollars.) Plus it will cost more for someone to rescue you from the middle of a mess than to do it from start to finish.

These are just a few of the questions you should ask yourself and if you are okay with your answers then go for it. You learn from doing and IMO this is a worthwhile thing to know.
thanks
Old 03-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usnfenix
My advice is similar to the above.

1. Is this a DD or a car you rely on in some way and need back up in a certain time frame?

2. Do you have a decent work area, that Is indoors and can be easily secured for the night and returned to on your own time?

3. Do you have the cash for the unforeseen things, like trips to ACE for hardware and tools you didn't plan for or things that break during mid-swap?

4. Do you have a friend that can help that is at least somewhat mechanically inclined or in the very least know what a ratchet is?

5. Do you have patience? (probably the biggest one of all)

Go over these points and really think on them, make sure you have all the checks in the block. The biggest thing for a newbie when attempting something like this is time, make sure you have nothing constraining you that will force you to work faster than you are comfortable with and get stressed or overlook things. I can tell you from my own installs that ive never done before, id research beforehand and think I had everything, then had to go to ACE or homedepot mid install to pick up a stupid bolt or a swivel that would help reach a stupid bolt. A motor swap can be done with your level, just take your time and go slow and do it right. READ READ READ up on it as much as you can till you feel you cant learn any more by reading and then plan it out and go at it. you'll be fine.

Oh, and get used to saying "where the **** is that ratchet I just had it"
thank man, i have another car to drive. and i dont have anything else to spend my money on right now, but for the most part ill be on my own on this whole thing with large help from the internet and occsionally a real expirence person can help me. and yup i have the biggest one of all....thats what she said.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have patience w/ working on cars it's possible .
Old 03-20-2017, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

As stated previously, make sure you have a reliable secondary vehicle to drive while performing the swap. The last 10 years have been kind to the D.I.Y LSx community. Tons of information and build threads chronicling everything from basic maintenance to complex swaps.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Teching In

If it not your DD ride I say go for. I am a concrete man and doing it myself with google in my 68 Camaro. Taking my time pulled the big block out and going to a LS3. This is a while back I am a lot closer now.
Attached Thumbnails Motor swap with no mechanical experience?-005.jpg   Motor swap with no mechanical experience?-020.jpg  

Quick Reply: Motor swap with no mechanical experience?