Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks but wont start, Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cranks but wont start, Sometimes

I posted this over in Gen III Tech but thought I would post it here as well.

Hey all,

2000 Trans Am 27,000 miles LS1 (durrr)
It threw a P0420 code, no other problems, did it after I was playing around on the exit ramp. Cleared the code, now it won't start every time. I played with VAT's, measured the key pellet at the connector. reconnected and the car starts right up.
Also, If I turn the key on and off several times it will finally start. Once it starts, it will start reliably back to back.
BUT, if you take the key out and let it sit for a couple of hours, it goes back to the cranks won't start routine, until you try several times, etc.
There was the one time I slammed the steering wheel to the bottom of the tilt to see if it would start, and it did.
Probably a red herring...
I'm not driving my car because I don't want to get stranded, which sucks.
SO!

1) Fuel Pump? I can hear the whine when I turn the key. Haven't put the gauge on it yet.
2) VATS? did I screw something up with the BCM when I cleared the code? (Oh yeah, I did the relearn procedure (11 minutes on, 30 seconds off, etc) it worked once.)
3) VATS II, do I have an intermittent read of the pellet? Ya think?
4) Fuel Filter. To my knowledge it's never been changed. Should I just go ahead and "shoot and holler ****" and change the filter?
5) Battery? I have read tales of a weak battery doing this. Enough to crank but not enough to crank and run the injectors/fuel pump.

Any of y'all heard of this before?
I know when the fuel pump went out in the Silverado, it was hard to start one time, then it died completely.
Had to tow it and replace the fuel pump.

tell me some of that experienced tech stuff.
I have a gauge set and I'm going to do a pressure-leakdown test tonight, I hope.

Jester

Quick Reply: Cranks but wont start, Sometimes