Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time to vent about my retarded car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default time to vent about my retarded car

so last year i was shopping for an 01 Trans Am, Black, M6, t-tops, you know the works. Found it, got a great deal, low mileage, no mechanical probs, ran like a champ. One year later I wish i didn't buy it. I've done 2 mods, lid and ported tb and the car acts like i changed everything out. Been to the dealer many times, (another reason to never buy GM again) to find my problems and nothing ever gets accomplished. I've had all normal maintenance done reguarly by the way. The car has 33,000 miles on it, never ragged nor raced and it drives like ****. The throwout bearing is shot, the clutch is bad, the car stumbles at idle, loss of power, a/c is noisy, rotors replaced all the way around. It has come down to almost selling the car would make me happy, but then i'd be sad b/c it was my dream for a long, long time to own this car. Now i have it and only complain b/c it never runs right. How could so much go wrong in such a short time. I'm afraid that if i keep it another year everything is gonna **** on me. And when anything does go wrong, the retards at GM never fix my ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to vent, i'm not a happy owner right now. Everytime something goes wrong i look at the new cobras and start wondering if i'd be happier. Thanks for listening, i still don't feel better and i can't wait to one day have my car the way it was the day i drove it off the lot
Old 07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats your problem, your taking it to a gm dealer to get fixed probably for warranty reasons but still.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean man, I have troubles with mine all the time.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

weird~~~~ i had 02 WS-6...and I NEVER have any PROBLEMS....except warped rotors......everything WORKS PERFECTly..and i drive it everyday..at least 50 miles per day...plus..i drive it like..i stole it...... NEVER BEEN TO THE DEALER~~ LOVE THE GM CARS!!~

Last edited by TX_SS; 07-08-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

yes i'm aware of the place i'm taking it (GM) doesn't like to honor their warranties. Don't get me wrong, i love these cars, had a 94 camaro, 97 trans am, now this 01 trans am. Just very dissapointed at my luck with this one. I hope i can eventually fix it all. First its going back to gm to have everything looked at then i will do the clutch. After all that i hope its back to normal
Old 07-08-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm must be a Lemon? Mine is a 98 WS6 and it got lots of mods, runs like a champ with 70k on the OD!!!(watch since I said that it will break down)
Old 07-08-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

My 01 runs great. I've warped the rotors though, and my rear sounds like there are rocks tumbeling (sp?) around in it. I've got 53K miles on her.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

hahaha, if you bought that cobra or whatever im sure you wouldve had some problems too, life isnt perfect, i know gm dealerships are hard to deal with sometimes, but the techs there arent retards, theyre some of the smartest and most trained techs around, maybe if you tell us how its running someone will help you diagnose it, theres always bumps in the road when it comes to automobiles, especially when youre modding them. if you get rid of it im sure someone would love to buy it from you.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mc01ta
rotors replaced all the way around
My 2 cents on the brakes, even if no problems now, get some slotted rotors and hawke pads. This is from 2 firebirds with rotors that warped front and rear. The slotted have not failed yet.

Also, the Hawke pads are relatively easy on the wallet and make a nice difference but can be noisy.

I got my rotors from Irotors for my TA and they are a sponsor here. The others were powerslot. Both are great and low cost.

Also, when you remove the calipers you have 2 pins that are greased with low cost grease. Get some synthetic grease. That help from having them freeze up which will cause uneven wear. My 99' Firebirds pin snapped and the bracket broke since I unable to remove. GM charges allot for the inexpensive parts and the synthetic grease is like 2 bucks.

My 2 cents from my experience, hope it helps.

And what were your other problems? There are allot of guys/gals here to help.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You really did get a lemon. When my car went down a few weeks ago, GM wouldn't talk to me either. My North Carolina dealer was awsome, but these guys in SoCal were a bunch of dicks. I found a regular mechanic who was a Mr. Goodwrench. They do warantee work, and it's in their best interest to find and fix as many things in your car as they can. When GM tries to slip them the shaft, they just turn around and say the engine is screwed, and it's cheaper to get a replacement than to fix the old one! Do this man, look around for a GM certified shop for your warantee work. Throw a few cases in the trunk, and drive down there w/ the beer, and shoot the **** w/ the mech for awhile. Tell him the beer is for the guy you're handing over your baby too. You get on his good side, and he'll take good care of you. You'll never find me in another dealership again. .... (well, that is until the new camaro's come out.) Good Luck man. And don't lose the faith in your car yet, she's just sick and needs some help before she kicks *** again.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing about dealerships too is that they take their sweet time on just about everything. This would not be bad if they actually looked over the car but my experiance is they leave the car sitting while they work on another car.

At the end I had the fuel injectors cleaned and got my car back after 1 week. But so far still runs like a champ.

Though I think they snaped the accelerator clip that holds the cable, the one on the passenger side. I noticed this after 2 months after checking the motor oil. I seen the clip was lifted a bit off the metal piace so I pushe it acgainst the metal pieace and every since I have been pushing down the accelator clip and from time to time this messes up the throtlle reaction. Last time I went to brake master they said i should ask the dealership if their was a recall on this.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

Have you had the car in the dealership for the same problem more than 3 times within 12k miles while under warranty? If so, check your state's lemon laws. Here, in MD, the dealership in that situation has to replace the car with a new one, or, if unavailable, refund your entire purchase price. Once you tell a dealer that you're going that route, you'd be surprised at how much gets accomplished.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

so let me get this straight.

1. your brakes suck
2. the clutch is fuckt up.
3. stubles at partial throttle

that is NOT that bad. upgrade breaks and clutch, then find and fix the sensor that is making it run shitty or find the problem. i owned a dsm before the 98 firebird i have now and if just the breaks and the clutch were wacky i was LUCKY.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought mine 14 months ago with 10k miles on it...it has 57K miles on it now...all I have done is regular service on it..no problems...one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned..does have 1 real bad problem..the rear tires keep wearing out ....just put a 1800 mile trip on it over the 4th and ran 80+MPH with the A/C on and got 26.53 miles per gallon 4 the trip...got a few mods on it and a little LS1 EDIT on the computer..great car!!...mite be the worlds best buy 4 a hot rod..no complaints here...sounds like u just need to get hooked up with the right mechanic...not all chevy stores suck
Old 07-10-2004, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

if you put a ported tb on there, you might need a tune as well?!?
Old 07-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

just get a cobra and you'll see what real problems are
Old 07-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by koniu77
just get a cobra and you'll see what real problems are

They make the ponies that's for sure, but the fit and finish is nothing compared to an fbody. My buddies' 03 squeaks and raddles like a baby toy with 10,000 miles. He's gone through brakes and a clutch as well, and there's no end to the problems he's had with the rear. Now, Im not trying to say they suck, I'm just trying to say you're not having these problems because your car is a GM. Any car can have issues like this. The only difference between your car and the Cobra is that with your car, you've got some $$ left over after buying it to fix the problems. Good luck man, and don't give up on your dream car...you're probably it's dream owner.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

i just dont understand why you got a ported TB as one of your first mods, maybe i need to read more..

goodluck..
Old 07-11-2004, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean your idle air controler....

it sits right under your throttle body, you know the one you pulled off , that exposed it

Last edited by jaberwaki; 07-11-2004 at 09:47 PM.