Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, prothane tranny mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help, prothane tranny mount?

I posted this in the Manual tranny section too but there are more people viewing here and i need some opinions so here it is... I bought the Prothane Polyurethane Transmission Mount from thunder racing last week and as you know our tranny mount has the one stud style mount that comes out of the center of the mount. Well here's the problem, 1. the studs that they sent w/ the new mount threaded into both outside holes that come on the mount from the factory for people who have the double studded mounts, however whenever i try to thread it into the center hole for what i need on my f-body, it wouldnt thread, as if i was cross threading it but wasnt b/c i had several other guys try it, we all agreed it was something that was defective from the manufacturer...however, seeing that i needed to finish the job i tried to thread it in anyways, ended up messing up the threads even more and stipping out both studs that it came w/. Problem 2...our stock tranny mount came w/ a much larger nut w/ a built on washer...dunno a specific name but anyways, the elongated hole in the tranny mount support bracket that the bolt comes down through, seemed to be too big...this new mount i bought, even after getting the bolt to thread in a little...the smaller supplied nut and washer and lock washer would actually crush up into the elongated hole when i got to around 50 ft. lbs of torque. Should i just get a thicker washer? And has anyone had experience w/ customer service from T.R? I'm nervous about suggesting it was a manufacterers defect and having to pay again for another mount. Any opinions appreciated.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hrm very very wierd, i have seen 3 sets of the prothane mount, installed them all, the bolt screws right into the center no problem. i bought them at ramchargers for like $22. Do not use the supplied nut, use your STOCK nut/washer. i would try getting another one or something, i think its a great mount. word of advise, do not torque them past 60ft/lbs it does not need it and will strip them.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hourang
hrm very very wierd, i have seen 3 sets of the prothane mount, installed them all, the bolt screws right into the center no problem. i bought them at ramchargers for like $22. Do not use the supplied nut, use your STOCK nut/washer. i would try getting another one or something, i think its a great mount. word of advise, do not torque them past 60ft/lbs it does not need it and will strip them.
Thats weird b/c the instructions say 77ft lbs....but ok i'll go up to 60...and as for using the stock nut on the actual supplied bolt....i tried that but its waaayyy too loose...the bolt on the old tranny mount is bigger, therefore the nut is too. It takes the threads, but i can wiggle the bolt around while its on the treads.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Thats weird b/c the instructions say 77ft lbs....but ok i'll go up to 60...and as for using the stock nut on the actual supplied bolt....i tried that but its waaayyy too loose...the bolt on the old tranny mount is bigger, therefore the nut is too. It takes the threads, but i can wiggle the bolt around while its on the treads.
the nut is not loose, its an illusion because the nut and washer combo are kinda separated, just torque it down it shouldnt budge.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hourang and I know this from experience, that mount does NOT like 77 ft/lbs
-Steve