New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what muffler with stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what muffler with stock exhaust?

I’m looking into only replacing the muffler. The exhaust system is 100% stock. I was thinking of a Magnaflow muffler, because I like the sound clips of the Magnaflow Catback. I also know that the LM is basically just a straight pipe with a few golf ball sized dimples as a muffler. My way of thinking right now is...a lot of people have the LM. It’s very popular. I don’t want to sound like every other t/a on the road. I heard a LM on a 98 t/a before (stock car except for a lid) and I wasn’t overly impressed over it. I’m looking for a more "tuned" exhaust but still loud.

So I could:

a) Get just a muffler (a Magnaflow maybe) but that might be too quiet.

b) Get a straight pipe, but that’s just un-toned madness

c) Or I was thinking maybe a bullet would be best. What do you guys think? Maybe one that’s about 4" x 24"...should be louder than an after market muffler, and be more toned than a LM. What do you guys think? Anyone have just a bullet with a stock exhaust?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think there is no substitute for the way a flowmaster sounds. I have heard that magnaflow's are better for performance though, but only like 1 or 2 horses maybe. the sound is worth it to me.

The exhaust i have running on my 00' Z28 is straight pipes (no cats) back to a 40 series. i recently installed an electric cutout from quicktimeperformance.com right under the rear seat. that way i can have it demonicly loud if i want, and if i see a cop, just flip a switch and it's "legal".
Old 07-14-2004, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

I went with the Flowmaster. Sounded great, good power gain.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

You will get allot of responses to stay away from the Flowmasters.

The Magnaflow do sound sweet IMO.

The SLP Loudmouth is loud for stock but many regretted the LM after adding LTs.

If you are gonna go LTs later the most popular is the GMMG here.

So you know I have basically stock. I got the car a year old and the previous owner already installed Flowmaster 80. I will be doing GMMG whe I do the Long Tubes.

Also visit this link for sounds: LINK
Old 07-14-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

if money is tight then magnaflow, but i would wait because for the price of buying the muffler, getting the old one taken off, having the new one welded you would be very close to having a used LM on there. granted it is gonna be a few more dollaz but if your gonna be a bolt on car for now a good cat-back is a solid start.
J
Old 07-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Dynomax bullet part #24222 in the i-pipe. deeper, less rasp/drone than LM. Gained 15RWHP. I recently added LTs ORY and sounds MEAN
Old 07-15-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

my main focus right now is to have a more distinct exhaust tone so i dont sound like all the other guys on the road...

ELS1: whatd you do after the bullet? a turndown? or did you run straight pipes to the back. also #24222 is 3". isnt the stock i-pipe 2.5?

i really like the dynomax sound clips on ls1sounds.com....would putting a dynomax muffler on the stock catback sound about the same?

Last edited by poweredbyv8; 07-15-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Also visit this link for sounds: LINK
ActionJack, Chad has bought www.ls1sounds.com, so you don't need to type in that horrible to remember link. Just point people to www.ls1sounds.com
Old 07-15-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a dynomax ultraflow as a replacement, fairly quiet when at idle but gets fairly loud when i get on it.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

what about cutouts...do they sound very untamed?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
ActionJack, Chad has bought www.ls1sounds.com, so you don't need to type in that horrible to remember link. Just point people to www.ls1sounds.com

Cool

Easy to remember too...
Old 07-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Launching!

I love my Magnaflow. Sounds great when getting on it and there is no drone when cruising.

My dad got rid of his Flowmaster because the droning was driving him crazy.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poweredbyv8
what about cutouts...do they sound very untamed?
Yep, Some love it others hate it. Its gonna rattle and vibrate the car really bad at certaind RPM points.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by poweredbyv8
ELS1: whatd you do after the bullet? a turndown? or did you run straight pipes to the back. also #24222 is 3". isnt the stock i-pipe 2.5?

i really like the dynomax sound clips on ls1sounds.com....would putting a dynomax muffler on the stock catback sound about the same?
sorry for replying late; what i did was put the dynomax bullet in the i-pipe with the stock catback. the muffler shop removed the stock muffler and fabricated a 'y-pipe' to keep the dual exits out back. Yes, the bullet is 3' but the shop will weld it up there and make it work. this is a very popular setup...refered to the "dynomouth". the sound is AMAZING...its about as loud as the loudmouth, but is MUCH deeper and NO rasp...very clean sound. I gained 15rwhp with that setup. Check out this diagram on how it is supposed to be setup:

Like I said, AMAZING sound...but I recently added Long Tubes with an Offroad Y....the sound brings tears to my eyes...beautiful...and sounds raw/mean. Oh, and I forgot to mention...you can just go to http://www.texas-speed.com/ and look for the "Rumbler" under exhaust section. Its the same setup, but already comes fabricated and its a full-catback.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Yep, Some love it others hate it. Its gonna rattle and vibrate the car really bad at certaind RPM points.
not really. i've had the cutout for 6 months, and on the first day i heard two very odd rattles. those rattles are still there, with no additions. just those. i'm pretty impressed no more rattles have developed since then. i think a cutout is the best way to go. it's under $50 and it really isn't that annoying unless you are sick or have a date in the car. and if a date is the case, cap it ahead of time. i've capped mine once in the 6 months i've had the car, and it wasn't because of a date. it was because i wanted to prove to myself that i'd at least cap it once
Old 07-17-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice