New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never will I buy another used car...

Old 07-17-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Never will I buy another used car...

Don't get me wrong..

I love my Camaro, but I was screwed over when I bought it, and didn't really find out until I started modding the car.

Problems so far that I didn't really know to look for when I purchased the car..

1) No passenger airbag or srs module under center console
2) Entire AC system from a 93-97 Camaro or TA

I found these things when I decided to remove the interior and do sound dampening. I'll have pics soon, but I feel like someone just kicked me in the *****.

I'm assuming that my car was just beat to death.. for the 27k that it had on the odometer when I got it. I'm beginning to wonder if those are the actual miles since the entire dashboard has been removed before. I found that out today when I removed the dash myself..

Just make sure to inspect the hell outta any used car that you get.. I didn't..
Old 07-17-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ??????

once bitten twice shy!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2004, 04:14 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same with me, i didnt find out my problems until i started modding my car. im 100% sure the car had mods and then was returned back to stock once it was at the dealership. but, out with the old in with the new.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

I also forgot to mention the exhaust....

The car had no passenger side cat heatshield.. It also had two of the drivers side catalytic converters, with a funky lookin y-pipe.

I had none of the stock exhaust hangers. I didn't find this out until I tried to install my TSP Rumbler and Pacesetter y-pipe only to find out that the stock hangers were long gone. But replaced buy some ghetto tack welded crap.

So my car was definitely modded and returned to stock.

But like it was said above.. " Out with the old, in with the new."
Old 07-17-2004, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

You could have returned it for that reason, if it was purchased at a dealer. "Full disclosure" is a real slap in the face to car dealers.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Launching!

I feel the same way, on past cars I did not go over them aswell as I should and now I know what to look for and would like to think it owuld not happen to me again, but what can ya do? Buy new and lose $$ on depreciation or buy a few years old and save a lot of money but run into the chance that the person before you really screwed things over.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the predicament I was in when I got rid of the SS and needed a new car. I would never buy a used sports car because of all the reasons listed above.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been ranked on a few times by my co-workers for buying my T/A off the showroom floor.

After reading your post I'm glad I bought it new.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I notice things about my car too, it just pisses the hell out of you.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Correct me if i am wrong, but if there is no SRS module wouldnt the light be on? and also the entire A/C system off of a 93-97 Fbody wont work, atleast it is all different part #'s and the compressor wouldnt bolt up to a 98+

Does your SRS light light on when the key is turned on?
Old 07-18-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man did I get lucky when I bought mine used, it was so unmolested, when I took it out for a test drive it still had the CAGS in place and nothing I've done so far makes me believe that it has been modded at all. Sorry to hear bout the problems Z28Venom
Old 07-18-2004, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

I have also noticed a few things about my car, not sure if its bad. The owner didnt tell me that it had exhaust, or that it had springs. Also, the plastic air damn that gives more direct air flow to the radiator is gone, and my passenger headlight sometimes hits a metal piece that seems to have shifted over a little bit.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't care what people say about throwing money away I am not going to buy another used car unless I have a detailed history on the thing. I'm very detailed when I buy used cars and I've still had my share of problems. Just not worth it IMO, unless you're just wanting a beater or you have your heart set on something that's out of production. You just can't be careful enough.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
I don't care what people say about throwing money away I am not going to buy another used car unless I have a detailed history on the thing. I'm very detailed when I buy used cars and I've still had my share of problems. Just not worth it IMO, unless you're just wanting a beater or you have your heart set on something that's out of production. You just can't be careful enough.
i dont mean to be a wise ***, but where are you gonna find a new f-body?
Old 07-18-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

I had just as many problems with my brand new 99 trans am. I had it for almost 3 years and put 30k miles. In those 30k miles all four rotors needed replacing a total of 3 times, I had a total of 5 power window motors replaced, a total of 3 head light motors replaced, a burned out clutch (I babied it), and a new differential after I shot all the gears out through it. Total out of warranty out of pocket cost was over right around $10k. I love f-bodies, but probabally wouldn't buy another one.

When I was 16 the pontiac dealer let me test drive a brand new 98 Trans Am. I did NOT know at all how to drive stick, but they let me drive it anyways. I feel sorry for who ever bought that car. Just because it's new doesn't mean it hasn't been abused (unless it has under 10 miles on the odometer I would still be cautious).
Old 07-18-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FairwayGreenVette
I had just as many problems with my brand new 99 trans am. I had it for almost 3 years and put 30k miles. In those 30k miles all four rotors needed replacing a total of 3 times, I had a total of 5 power window motors replaced, a total of 3 head light motors replaced, a burned out clutch (I babied it), and a new differential after I shot all the gears out through it. Total out of warranty out of pocket cost was over right around $10k. I love f-bodies, but probabally wouldn't buy another one.

When I was 16 the pontiac dealer let me test drive a brand new 98 Trans Am. I did NOT know at all how to drive stick, but they let me drive it anyways. I feel sorry for who ever bought that car. Just because it's new doesn't mean it hasn't been abused (unless it has under 10 miles on the odometer I would still be cautious).
lol.... glad i bought mine from a 52 year old man who had MANY other f-bodies and it just happened he had ALL paper work on EVERYTHING that was done to it. All it had was borla catback and everything was in TIP-TOP shape. He gave me all info on it and all services and EVERYTHING. Was a very clean car. Sorry to hear about the rest of u.

Goodluck venom trying to get everything fixed!
Old 07-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

if you don't know squat about cars and are gonna buy a used car , have it inspected by a professional BEFORE you buy it. if seller refuse to let you do that , RUN don't walk away from it.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry, but i've bought over 10 used Mustangs and a bunch of other cars used.....these problems listed sound very minor.

the only thing that would worry me is nitrous. and they can just replace the part where the hole was drilled. not many LS1's gets supercharged or turboed, so not much worry there.

but exhaust hanger, a/c, springs, heatshield...these are little problems. if the a/c works, then what's wrong with that? it probably broke and it got replaced with used parts. if the rotors had to be replaced 3 times w/i 30k miles, then it must have been the calipers sticking or something. and clutches are rated about 50-60k...but in a high performance car, it could go w/i 10 miles of bad driving...and the 10-bolt rear is a known weak spot in these cars.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm on the other side of the fence. I refuse to buy new cars. A car thats a year or two old still has a factory warranty. Used 1997-1999 Vette 70,000 miles of abuse and juice $14,000-$19,000. A new built motor and trans cost alot less than $30,000.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, the more i look into my car the more i know it's got stories to tell.......but i knew that going into it and i got it for a reasonable price and it was a risk that i felt was worth taking.....but i have definetely found some more things to look for on when buying a used car...like trim screws missing and places to look where paint could be screwed up.......

Search this Thread