New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

increasing mileage?

Old 07-17-2004, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question increasing mileage?

what are the best mods for increasing freeway gas mileage, other than gears i mean? I'm possibly going to be going on some serious roadtripping after i graduate college this year and i wanna see what i should do to prepare.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

I read that underdrive pulleys can help gas mileage some, but I don't know if that's true or not from experience. That's my next purchase from MTI so I guess I'll find out...
Old 07-17-2004, 03:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure, nobody that I can recall has wanted to work on improving gas mileage before I would think that the pullies would DEFINATELY help a little, along with some typical bolt-ons like cold air induction, lid, and a less restrictive exhaust. (should make it more efficient, i would think ) and a dyno tune for a real nice A/F ratio would help just about any car. Not sure if a tune is worth the money though, most people don't do that till they get into the engine.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

The surprising part is that a tuned supercharger setup will greatly increase your gas mileage. Remember, IC engines are just air pumps. Gas is just supposed to help move the air. When I had just the supercharger, long tube headers, and a better flowing heads/cam setup, I averaged about 27 mpg city. Highway mileage was sick. I made a highway run for business purposes (I got to expense mileage, OK?) and did the math. On that trip, I got 45 MPG!!! Now I've changed the setup a bit, and my MPG took one hell of a nose dive.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?

You're cracking me up man. Oh, and to the poster.... yes, lid, filter, exhaust.... all gave me better milliage. GL on your ride.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

intake
exhaust
Old 07-19-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A less restrictive exhaust will help a bit as will an underdrive pulley. Bumping part throttle timing advance a degree or two *might* help a tiny bit so long as knock is not encountered. Higher PSI in the tires couldn't hurt. Lower the car. Lighten the car. Most importantly, restrain your right foot. The difference between cruising at 60 v/s 75 is surprising.

Contrary to popular belief, intake mods will NOT help MPG since your throttleblade is always the determining restriction at part throttle.....think about it, the cylinder still sees the exact same amount of air and fuel at a given cruising speed no matter how efficient or inefficient the lid and/or filter is since your fuel/air will always be maintained at 14.7:1 by the O2 sensors. There are many folks who *think* they've gotten better MPG with intake mods but their testing was flawed.

Search this Thread