New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did it take?

Old 07-19-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did it take?

I've been posting for a couple months now, but still consider myself reletively new. I have only had my WS6 for about two months. When I bought it, I had plans to mod it. Several, if not the majority of members here have done some serious work on their cars. I am curious as to how long it took some for you to get your car where you want it, or at least on its way to being what you want? I estimate that it will take me a couple years to get it like I want, piecing it together a little at a time. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

I think most people will say it will never be where they want it. You will always want to go faster. Just budget your money and set goals.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Launching!

all depends on how much money you have really. I have had my car for over 3 years and I am just now putting a cam in it.

WORDS OF ADVICE: Do LOTS OF RESEARCH on here before modding, trust me. I started doing some mods on my car when i first bought it and I just wasted my money. If i would have researched what I had bought on this site before i did, I would have laughed at myself for even thinking about buying some of the things that i did.

just my 2 cents

One more thing, modding is an addiction , so i dont know if someone will ever really be satisified and have there car where they want it.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

I agree. You won't ever have the perfect car, but you can settle at a certain point. I am a year into my car. I think I am 25% happy with it. Besides if you finish your car, wheres the fun in that. I love getting together with my buddies and work on the car.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lucian
all depends on how much money you have really. I have had my car for over 3 years and I am just now putting a cam in it.

WORDS OF ADVICE: Do LOTS OF RESEARCH on here before modding, trust me. I started doing some mods on my car when i first bought it and I just wasted my money. If i would have researched what I had bought on this site before i did, I would have laughed at myself for even thinking about buying some of the things that i did.

just my 2 cents

One more thing, modding is an addiction , so i dont know if someone will ever really be satisified and have there car where they want it.
I didn't figure that too many people finished or got close ot finishing there car in les thana year. I suppose for most it is the money...since I am married, just finished school (went back), and we are looking to buy a house soon and prehaps have kids in the next couple years it will be a few yeas before mine is the way I want it!
Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casper9T9
I think most people will say it will never be where they want it. You will always want to go faster. Just budget your money and set goals.

Very ture. I figure that I will know when I want to stop. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is never fast enough for me... But I plan to stop after I order another couple grand of suspension and other junk this week

Honestly, when I bought the car, I had NO idea what I was going to do, which I think was a bad idea. Because with the money I have spent so far, I could have bought a nice blower or turbo set-up, which kinda makes me mad. Anyways, looking through this site I have seen people with true duals and cams, and I think to myself that I will never get that. But a couple months later its on my car...

Anyways, I have no goals for my car, so I will never be done.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car will never be where you want it to be.. There are 100's of different setups..

First you want to run 12's.. then 12's aren't fast enough...11's .. 10's.. It's a never ending saga..
Old 07-19-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest...I'm not looking to have the fastest car...the way I see it, there is always going to be someone faster. Don't get me wrong...do I want my car to be faster...OH YEAH! I'm going to start out slow and build it up. Is my car fast, yes...but some people go badmouthing you if your car doesn't run 12's...or 11's...or 10's...saying how slow your car is if it still runs 12.5-13.5 or so. Is my car fast, yes...is it THAT fast...no.

Also, I am really into the classic lope sound of the old muscle cars...and would like to know what type of cam would give me that sound?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hepcatws6
To be honest...I'm not looking to have the fastest car...the way I see it, there is always going to be someone faster. Don't get me wrong...do I want my car to be faster...OH YEAH! I'm going to start out slow and build it up. Is my car fast, yes...but some people go badmouthing you if your car doesn't run 12's...or 11's...or 10's...saying how slow your car is if it still runs 12.5-13.5 or so. Is my car fast, yes...is it THAT fast...no.

Also, I am really into the classic lope sound of the old muscle cars...and would like to know what type of cam would give me that sound?

Thanks.
You want classic muscle car lope.. Check into the TSP 231/237. Those cams sound sick.. Just make sure that you have a nice exhaust and that lope with be there.. trust me..

Check the true dual clip in my sig..
Old 07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
You want classic muscle car lope.. Check into the TSP 231/237. Those cams sound sick.. Just make sure that you have a nice exhaust and that lope with be there.. trust me..

Check the true dual clip in my sig..
Thanks, man. I listened to your clip, and I gotta' say you got one badass soundin' ride! I gotta' get that "womp, womp" sound. The guy a few houses down from me has an old hotrod...looks to be a mopar of some sort and that thing sounds sweet. It took him a long time to get it running, but damn...I was in my apartment one day and asked my wife, "Was that thunder?" Then, I listened and thought, Damn thats that car! Thing goes down the street and rattles the windows in our thrid floor apt!
Old 07-19-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

I've had my car four years and only put 13k on it. I've spent a lot of money, but I still don't have a cam, or any serious power adder, really. I've been trying to give my car a solid foundation first. I'll probably put a new rear end and gears before a cam. I don't see any hurry, I'm enjoying the car as is, and I still have many years of modding to look forward to. I've kept my car mint, and I plan on keeping it as long as I exist.

Hey Venom, that video is badass!! I was amazed even when the car wasn't in the video, just watching the tree sway, and hearing the birds chirping. Also, I wrote down TSP 231/237 cam. That's what I'm looking for in a cam! Cool video!!! Thanks for posting it!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Predator
I've had my car four years and only put 13k on it. I've spent a lot of money, but I still don't have a cam, or any serious power adder, really. I've been trying to give my car a solid foundation first. I'll probably put a new rear end and gears before a cam. I don't see any hurry, I'm enjoying the car as is, and I still have many years of modding to look forward to. I've kept my car mint, and I plan on keeping it as long as I exist.

Hey Venom, that video is badass!! I was amazed even when the car wasn't in the video, just watching the tree sway, and hearing the birds chirping. Also, I wrote down TSP 231/237 cam. That's what I'm looking for in a cam! Cool video!!! Thanks for posting it!
Just to clarify.. the cam in the video is a TR230/224 .575/.563 111LSA...

I would love to move up to a 231/237 for nitrous purposes..
Old 07-19-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i have a 224/230 on a 112 LSA...ive gotten more compliments on the car in the last month than the rest of the time ive owned it (may 2003) i was looking for that same "classic muscle" sound and i am pretty satisfied with how the cam sounds....now im getting a true dual system to seal the deal...

btw....ive been modding my car since i got it (see sig) and im nowhere close to where i want to be...
Old 07-19-2004, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

I've had mine for just over three years and I spend every singe penny I can afford on it (then some ). But it still isn't anywhere near where I want it. I havn't even accomplished my primary goal, that won't be reached until I get a cam NEXT SUMMER (possibly the TSP 231/237). I won't be "finished" until I get full heads/cam/bolt-ons with a 12 bolt, cage, suspension, some forged internals, and N20. Man, I have a long way to go!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Just to clarify.. the cam in the video is a TR230/224 .575/.563 111LSA...

I would love to move up to a 231/237 for nitrous purposes..
Venom, thanks for the head's up!
Old 07-20-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

my cars right hwere i want it now...its in my driveway?? ....its bone stock...but the mods will soon come...i don't think my car will ever be as you say finished...theres always more to do
Old 07-20-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Took me a week to buy every single bolton i wanted but more and better mods are planned for the future!......Your on the right track..keep it up
Old 07-20-2004, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Although Ive only been an LS1 owner for about a week, and been a member of this site for about as long as Ive owned my car, I can already understand the "never enough" mentality. Im a bodybuilder as well, and before I used to visit alot of bodybuilding boards, and the mentality is similar...your never satisfied with how big or strong you get, you always want a bit more.

And even though I havent even dont the FREE mods to my car yet, Ive already made a list of most of the mods I want on my car!...and Ive said that I wanna keep it a N/A vehicle (so no superchargers or nitrous)..if I ever get the chance to get anywhere NEAR completing all those mods, I know Im gonna wanna get a supercharger and NOS...hell, I'll behonest, yesterday I was doin alot of reading on the vortech superchargers cant help it, i have an addictive personality, and I just love trying to make thing bigger and badder

Search this Thread