New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help picking (clutch or valvetrain)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking (clutch or valvetrain)

Hey I dont know where to put this so here it is...

I have 68k miles on my car. Not sure what clutch is in it. It's all mushy and Im thinking its time for a change. I also have a feeling that my valvetrain is messed up because I missed a shift a while back and I bent some pushrods. I replaced them and I can still hear a knock. Im guessing either a bad lifter or bad valves.

Here is the question(s)...

Which do you think would be a better idea... Clutch or Valvetrain?

With my Valvetrain... How hard would it be for me to do myself? What else might be wrong with this "knocking/ticking" noise? How much is this going to cost me? Will I need to have head work done or whatelse is involved?

Please help me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 07-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Im a A4 guy but if you missed a shift and your car is acting up Id definitely check the valvetrain for problems. Then the clutch second, im sure it can go a little longer. Your engine definitely wont if something is jacked up. Not to hard to check the pushrods, check out ls1howto.com to get an idea how to break down the valvetrain and heads. Heads need to be removed in order to get to the valves and lifters, a little experience from a helper would be useful also. No head work will need to be done, unless you bombed something real bad, but it doesnt sound like you did. Could be something simple as a partially broken spring. You gotta check it out though thats the only way. If your not comfortable looking for the problem you can check out if you can get into ls1speed in Schaumburg and have them check it out, but they are probably booked for awhile. If anything get a friend that knows his ls1 to help. Good Luck