Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumped on by a Car Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumped on by a Car Dealer

I went to buy a 04 GMC truck today, and the dealer offered me 10,000 for my '00 SS. What a Joke!! Do people really fall for this?
Old 07-24-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yes, many people practically give their old cars to dealerships. I've also known people to pay over 35,000 for a little, base model chevy truck.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

is that what you told them?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trading you old car in at the dealership saves alot of time and trouble. Single women and old people do it. I love selling and buying rolling stock, thats half the fun. *The single women comment does not apply to those on this sight*
Old 07-26-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Dealers do tend to bend people over like that. I remember last year my grandpa bought a new car and was completely taken by the dealer. My dad and I went in and had some choice words with the sales manager and the person that sold the car. It sometimes helps to tell the dealer to either go retail to retail, or wholesale to wholesale. Not wholesale to retail etc.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeh you think hats funny before i found my 98 Pontiac Transam..the local chevy dealer had a 2000 Camaro Z28 with 27,000 miles on it..listed at 16,999 so i called on it in the winter..i woulda bought it if i could of got them down to 15,500 what it should be..they wouldn't budge an inch...so i said **** it...so i still hadn't found anything and summer just hit..really wanted this car..so i called agan thinking if i could talk them down to 16,000...and if they gave me 2,500-3,000 for my previous LT1 Z28 id go for it...so i called...

Me: So i called last winter on that 2000 Z28 you still have in your lot.

Them: Oh, Yeah I Remember...

Me: You think you guys would go down to 16 on it??

Them: 16, woh...$2000 is a lot to drop off a car like that.

Me: What are you talking about...that car is listed for 16,999

Them: What gave you that Idea..that car is listed at 17,999

Me: uh...so the seasons change the price these days...

Them: Uh...Uh....Uhh...Sorry SIr we can't go that low.

Me: Don't worry..I won't got that High..

Me: Hang-UP.....

I MEAN>>**** like that makes me not want to go to dealerships and buy stuff.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
Me: Don't worry..I won't got that High..

I stopped the other day to look at a beautiful ws6 a local dealer had. It was an '01 with 60k on the clock, and the guy told me they wanted 28,900 for it, but "for me" they would go as low as 26,900!

My reply: "Get off the pipe..."

Get this: I flat out told him he was waaaaay out of line on the price, and he told me: "This Trans Am is very rare...They didn't make but a few black ones with T-Tops."

He didn't quite know what to say when I told him all 01 T/A's had T-tops, regardless of color.

So, I offered him 17k for it. He declined. lol.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Clipper

"This Trans Am is very rare...They didn't make but a few black ones with T-Tops."
ITS TRUE!!

Black is a very rare color on the WS6 and only a hand select few had T-tops.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got some "beach front" property for sale in Florida, if you do decide to buy one of those "rare" Trans Ams.

I always go to the same dealer, and have a long standing relationship with the sales staff and management. They come up with a price that makes us both happy. They make a little, I save a little. There is nothing worse then a dealership that wants to **** rape you on the price. They are so concerned with cutting a fat hog of a deal, they neglect to remember that you won't be back after you realize how badly they screwed you.
Bottom line. You decide what you will pay. If they don't want to deal, let the damn car collect some more dust on thier lot. There is always the same car, on another lot. Don't be afraid to wait and shop around. If you impulse buy, or fall in love with one particular car, they have you at a disadvantage from the get go.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah similar story with me:

About a month ago I saw a white 96 TA at one of these mom-and-pop dealerships. My fiance likes it so I stop to take a look. I go in my Z28 which has obviously seen MUCH more care than this LT1. So the guy comes out of the trailor with his straw hat, hawaiian shirt, and flip flops.

HIM: I see you got your eye on that Trans Am, you know thats a step up from your camaro there.

(this offended me)

ME: How do you figure that?

HIM: Thats an LT1 Corvette motor and will pull mid 11s in the quarter mile even though its stock.

(uh... yeah... okay)

ME: How many miles does it have on it?

HIM: Its a Trans Am so it doesnt really matter.

...so needless to say I left after that. I knew the guy who owned this car who sold it to this car lot. The LT1 inside has been implanted and the car is about to quit unless its taken car of soon. IT IS TOTALLY STOCK. I just thought it was hilarious how some ignorant car sales man will shoot **** out of his *** because he assumes I am even more ignorant than him.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

last week i went to see about trading my 02 SS with 30,000 mile in perfect condition for a 04 SS truck, they told me they could give 13,500 for my ss, so i told them to go to hell, and asked them about the 2000 camaro v6 they had for sale for 14,000 and they said it was easier to sell the v6 then the ss
Old 07-26-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

******* dealers lol...
Old 07-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I wanted to test drive a mach 1 at the dealership that I bought my lightning from. The only 5 speed mach they had was on one og those car stands so I couldnt drive it. I asked the sales guy well you have like 10 cobras all lined up here, can i just drive one of those to see if i like the waya mustang drives? I had never driven one and just wanted to see If i'd like it, he said no way. I was like, you see that nice, expensive truck over there, I bought that from you guys... lemme drive this car. He had the nerve to say sorry not without a credit report, but if you dont want to do that I can drive it for you. I almost spit in his face. Luckily for them my original sales man called me back and spent like 30 minutes kissing my *** after he heard that i stomped out of there. btw im 25 so i think that is part of why he was not earger to earn my business.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude, he knew you were gonna rag the hell out of that Cobra and he can get fired for it. plus you're still paying for that new truck and he knows you're not buying a Cobra and make payments on 2 new vehicles.

the way you do it is to go in there and say that you want to trade in that truck for a Cobra.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebSS
I went to buy a 04 GMC truck today, and the dealer offered me 10,000 for my '00 SS. What a Joke!! Do people really fall for this?
Not defending the jerks that work at car dealerships. When you buy or trade, it's a given the consumer is gonna get shafted ...

There are a lot of things that go into the price structure of an offer for a used car.

But one thing you have to consider is how terrible an F-Body is at holding it's value.

We all differ because of our passion for the platform. But you have to realize, not everyone has that passion. If they did, the platform probably wouldn't have been dumped.

I have come to the conclusion that myself and a handful of you folks all know the "value" of these cars. Everyone else could give a **** ...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

mitch....that is unfortunately the bitter truth these days....

i drove onto a ford lot in my old durango slt, and pointed at a red '04 cobra, and said i want to drive that. five minutes later i was leaving rubber in front of the dealership. i must say there ARE benefits to being in texas....they don't always think right. i didn't even talk about buying the car. just left rubber all over town for 20 mins, then went home. bought my t/a two weeks later LOL.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
mitch....that is unfortunately the bitter truth these days....

i drove onto a ford lot in my old durango slt, and pointed at a red '04 cobra, and said i want to drive that. five minutes later i was leaving rubber in front of the dealership. i must say there ARE benefits to being in texas....they don't always think right. i didn't even talk about buying the car. just left rubber all over town for 20 mins, then went home. bought my t/a two weeks later LOL.
Haha. That's pretty damn funny.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MJSLude99
Haha. That's pretty damn funny.
WAAAAAAYYYYY back in the day, I had this 85 or so t-bird, it had three or four tones of gray(including various shades of primer), a 2 barrel carb on a sic, sic, six cylinder and non-matching tires. It belched smoke from start-up to shut-down, so on the weekends my favorite thing to do was to go to all the car dealers in town and drive the fast cars. Back then, they didn't come with you or anything, so I dogged the **** out of all these cars, I would take them back with 1/8 inch of rubber built up on the back fenders, and about a 1/16 of a tank of gas. They would come out and try to hard sell when you came back later, but I just left.

as far as I'm concerned, they deserved it! that's what you get for only offering me $1500 bucks for my 95 v8 t-bird years later. Now you can't do that anymore, any time I go to the dealer now, they always want to come with me.

btw, back then, the fastest car I test drove turned out to be a mercury cougar with a five speed and a supercharger, I forget what year it was, but that thing was freekin' fast! maybe 92 or so?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well about a year ago, i got on this power trip to sell/trade my ta for a luxury car or somwthing with some room in it. i really wanted a licoln ls. i went to the dealer and after talking him down doing the whole "dealer" thing..it got down to the nitty gritty. i went to sit down and discuss the formalities.. here and there i would mention to him that my car was in cherry condition and had quite a few mods..(i know they dont care about the mods but hey) well he said with the condition and everything they would give me top dollar..he said his "head mechanic" would test drive it to make sure nothing was wrong with it and that would determine the trade in.. I'll tell you watching your car being drove away by a total stranger is like watching your best friend move away to china. the whole time he was gone the guy would ask me questions and i wouldnt answer sometimes becuase i kept looking out the window wating for my bird to drive back up. he finally got back and said everything was cool and so here came the price..10500 and no more!! this was like a total insult to me. i told him to suck my *** (literally) and walked out. i think when people work on their own cars and cherrish them like most of us,they think its worth more than what "average" people will payy..oh well My friend and i were test driving cars a day or two later and i told the salesman what had happend at the licoln dealership about the low offer and the "suck my a$$" thing and my friend turned red and got really emberassed. i cant believe you said that man,,, i replied, i tell it like i feel..always have and always will.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Yeah, what is it about Texas? I've had dealers let me take out Vettes, Cobra's, Benzes, and F-bodies all by myself. Some haven't even wanted proof of insurance!

I think the most fun I had was in a Mercedes S600 with the 400 horse V12. Man, that thing was the most quiet car I've ever been in, and it pulled like no other sedan I'd ever been in. It was so quiet that you could hear yourself breathing if the A/C was off. I guess that's what double-pane windows do for you.