Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belts

Okay, I'm about to buy a '98 Trans Am....I had it looked over buy a mechanic and the one thing he said was that a belt needed to be replaced. I'll admit I don't know too much about everything under the hood. Anyway, he had the car up on the jack and showed me the belt. I forgot to ask which belt it was and how much it would be to replace it. I was just wondering because if it's expensive I wanna know how much so I can talk the guy down that I'm buying the car from. I know there is a timing and and serpentine belt....a friend of mine said that you can't see one of the belts (I'm guessing timing belt) until you take other parts out. My friend said if the mechanic showed me the belt underneath the car (which he did) then its the serpentine belt which is cheap to replace. So my questions are: While on a jack which belt(s) can you see? Which belt is more expensive to replace? About how much would it be?

I'll call the mechanic tomorrow and see if he remembers which one it was but I thought I'd ask on here first to kill the suspense. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its defenitly the serpentine belt...the long black one. Its probably just cracked and needing to be changed, there are two on ls1 cars, the main one and the one for the AC. Either way, the big one is 10- 15 bucks and the other one is probably 8. You can't see the timing belt with out pulling the front timing cover off.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Me and my girlfriend changed my belt not too long ago because it was squeakind and it looked "glazed". It helps ALOT if you have a buddy to help you replace it. www.installuniversity.com has a good write up on it.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 Brent
Me and my girlfriend changed my belt not too long ago because it was squeakind and it looked "glazed". It helps ALOT if you have a buddy to help you replace it. www.installuniversity.com has a good write up on it.

Where do you get your belts from? Can I buy quality belts from Napa?

Thanks