Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ping, Oil Consumption problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping, Oil Consumption problems?

I just read an article that suggests by making some modifications to our PCV systems we may eliminate ping, oil consumption, and more:

Doing this modification, along with swapping plugs, using GM Top Engine Cleaner, and resetting the PCM, instantly cured the audible pinging and up to 9 deg of knock retard we were experiencing on our factory stock 2001 Trans Am. We verified the contribution of the factory PCV arrangement to the pinging problem by temporarily disabling the modification. The audible pinging and knock retard immediately returned. We restored the modification without resetting the PCM, and the pinging immediately disappeared again.

It is our opinion that the problem with the PCV system accounts for the majority of LS1 vehicles that experience pinging from the factory. We have heard of disappointed LS1 owners pursuing lemon law buybacks or selling their vehicles as a result of this problem. It's unfortunate that GM chooses to lose customers over this problem when providing a solution would be simple, especially with GM's considerable resources. We've discussed this with Pontiac Customer Assistance, and were told that GM is aware of the pinging, but doesn't consider it a problem. GM engineers have studied the situation and concluded that the pre-detonation "does not affect driveability or engine durability."

The modification also appears to have significantly reduced the engine's oil consumption. The car had previously used approximately 1 qt of oil every 3000 miles, regardless of driving style. After the modification, there has been no drop in oil level during daily driving.

I am think of doing this and wonder what you all thought and especially if someone has done this if you had similiar results?

Link to site and procedure: Click here
Old 07-30-2004, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

I would just do the catchcan, i think it works better and you dont have filters to lower ur pressure.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
I would just do the catchcan, i think it works better and you dont have filters to lower ur pressure.
Any install links you know of?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

I dont remember where i seen it but its very easy.

u need a pcv pipe, 1 end cap, 1 screw on end cap, an emission hose , and 2 things i cant remember what they are called ( u screw them into the pcv pipe and connect the hose to it) . Someone will know what its called. It cost about $10 total.

I can give u pics of mine if no one else knows a link.

U can also buy an amw can for like $80 but mine works really well i catch a lot of oil and all ping is gone.

There are pics of the amw can in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=catchcan+pics

Ill give u some pics of mine later if u decide to do it so u know what a made one looks like.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

You know I have read about those last year and forgot about them entirely. The billet aluminum looks sweet but 88.00 + is kinda steep.

I would still be interested in a pic of yours when you get a chance.

And thanks