Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shift Knob = More noise??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shift **** = More noise??

I just put a Hurst classic shift **** (black ball with 6-speed markings) on my z28 replacing the factory hurst leather **** and I now hear a noise that sounds like a whine or something. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak or something under the hood, but when I cup my hand over shifter I can hear it better.

Anyone else with this shifter experience this??
Old 08-07-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

When I put the LSS on my factory Hurst, I noticed a little more tranny noise. Not sure what the deal is, but I have a nice stereo system, so it doesn't really bug me.

-Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 11:49 AM
NKAWTG...N

ya, i got that to with my pro 5.0 and lss. since i just put a new part in i was **** and looking for any warning sounds of impending doom, and i here all this tranny noise and i freak. silverghost is with me and hes partially deaf so he wasn't much of a help.

its normal, since your going to a more solid shifter you dont have the rubber in there anymore acting as a noise dampening agent.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
When I put the LSS on my factory Hurst, I noticed a little more tranny noise. Not sure what the deal is, but I have a nice stereo system, so it doesn't really bug me.

-Mike
Exact same thing with my LSS on the factory hurst. With it there's no rubber bushing to keep noise down. The solid ball probably acts like an amplifier.