Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Convertor ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Convertor ?

Guys, please help me decide on a convertor for my 98 TA with 3.23s... Mods are SLP LID and GMMG Exhaust... oh and I already have a B&M Tranny Cooler..

All I wanna do now is a convertor and LTs later on... but convertor for now

The car is a daily driver and sees alot of city and highway miles..

Please recommend a good convertor and where to buy from ?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

vigilante 3200 always works as a good all around convertor.

just bout any of the sponsors can hook it up ...might want to try www.thunderracing.com
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hey what's up? Well I have a Yank PT4000 and it made a world of a difference on both my launch and top end...I am very pleased with it, but you might consider a Yank 3600 since it is used as a daily driver. I have read in several magazines and articles that you always want to go with at least a 3600 converter (Yank, Vigilante, etc...). Best of luck on your decision!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you just missed the GP that Thunder Racing had on TCI's. i bought a 3500 for my daily driver i would recommend a 3500, but thats just from what ive read. i have no experience with these. a little off subject, but, how do you like the gmmg? is it too much drone for you? i know you were thinking about the magnaflow. what happened? good luck with whatever you get man!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by madpwr1
vigilante 3200 always works as a good all around convertor.

just bout any of the sponsors can hook it up ...might want to try www.thunderracing.com
ill second that....i've got one and it has great street manners and hits like crazy when you step on it. the only thing i'll tell you right now is a Vig 3200 is not really a 3200 at all. they underrate them by 400-600 rpm. mine seems to true stall around 3800. Even so, the 3800 stall is plenty manageable on the street and after driving on it for awhile, you'll hardly notice. good luck with the converter choice.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
ill second that....i've got one and it has great street manners and hits like crazy when you step on it. the only thing i'll tell you right now is a Vig 3200 is not really a 3200 at all. they underrate them by 400-600 rpm. mine seems to true stall around 3800. Even so, the 3800 stall is plenty manageable on the street and after driving on it for awhile, you'll hardly notice. good luck with the converter choice.
Thats what i wanted to hear, i just bought a 3200 vig. i had heard they were underrated
thats why i didnt get the 3,600 vig its my DD as well.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

The TCI Super Street Fighter 3500 is another option. I went with the TCI as it is an awsome converter that sells for around and sometimes under $500. Can't beat that price and everyone seems to love their customer service if/when they need it. Either the TCI SSF3500, Yank SS3600, or Vig3200 will work very well for you.

A converter is God's gift to the A4 LS1. Makes a world of difference!

FWIW: I only dyno'd 320 rwhp, 337 rwtq (though my torque curve kicks ***, thanks mostly to duals), on stock suspension minus front swaybar with about 100 pounds of basic weight reduction, I pulled a 1.726 60'.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

I just put in my TCI3500 and LT's and I absolutely love it. Not all that much difference during normal driving. But when you get up on it. OOOOOhhhh Man.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

thanks for all the responses guys!

Vigilante 3200 seems to be the most popular TC ...

ok , here's some more questions:

1) Do I need to get a shift kit with this ? If yes, which one ? Trans Go?
2) Will I need a dyno-tune/PCM-tune after this ?
3) Although I usually try to purchase the product new, is there any reason why I should NOT buy a used TC ?
4) Finally, should I also get a deeper/bigger Tranny Pan or am I okay with the 24K B&M cooler I have on ?

Many thanks guys!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
you just missed the GP that Thunder Racing had on TCI's. i bought a 3500 for my daily driver i would recommend a 3500, but thats just from what ive read. i have no experience with these. a little off subject, but, how do you like the gmmg? is it too much drone for you? i know you were thinking about the magnaflow. what happened? good luck with whatever you get man!
Love the GMMG!!! Honestly, there IS a bit of drone.. However, after a couple of days of driving, you won't feel it.. it's there, but not annoying at all

I had almost bought the Magnaflow, and then I heard one in person... it sounds nice at WOT, however was too quiet at lower speeds and idle.. Plus, I really don't wanna get into a CAM/Heads et all, so ended up spending a bit more for a MUCH better sound!! It's almost like open headers!! [yeah I drove the car around a bit like that when swapping the exhaust lol ]

All in all, I am VERY Happy to have gone with GMMG .. Even at 2x the price of Magnaflow, it's def. worth it... esp when you start it up and get on it

I posted a few vids on here.. I think they're in the Multimedia section.. check'em out bro..

Absolutely recommend it!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlownGTX
thanks for all the responses guys!

Vigilante 3200 seems to be the most popular TC ...

ok , here's some more questions:

1) Do I need to get a shift kit with this ? If yes, which one ? Trans Go?
2) Will I need a dyno-tune/PCM-tune after this ?
3) Although I usually try to purchase the product new, is there any reason why I should NOT buy a used TC ?
4) Finally, should I also get a deeper/bigger Tranny Pan or am I okay with the 24K B&M cooler I have on ?

Many thanks guys!!!

1.) For best results get a shift kit. The TransGo is very popular.
2.) Once again, for best results, you will want tuning. You can get a basic PCM tune or use a handheld programmer. You will want to alter shift points, etc.
3.) I wouldn't want to buy a used converter. Though if you get one from someone that you know is trustworthy it should be okay. People do change out converters at this level in order to go even higher sometimes so there are occasionally good deals out there in this range.
4.) You should be okay without getting a deaper/bigger transmission pan. The tranny cooler is what you really need to have so you are covered there. The larger pan will heat up more slowly but will also cool down more slowly. The added stability helps most if/when you hotlap at the track or when you do a big standing burnout before a run as it will not spike the temperature up quite as quickly. I went ahead and got a TCi +2 quart I believe it is pan that is suppose to help cool faster as well as it is alumimum and has slots cut in the bottom for added surface area. People who have installed one and watched the temps say that the temp was actually a little cooler with the pan.

Hope I covered everything well. Good luck to you.