Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone that has the gmmg exhaust please help a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone that has the gmmg exhaust please help a newbie

I just recently purchased my first F-body and I want to change out the exhaust. The car has the slp dual dual exhaust which is really quiet. I was looking into the gmmg exhaust and I can't find a solid answer anywhere....some say its LOUD and the company itself says that they've installed it on factory cars so its not....I don't plan on changing the headers or y pipe anytime soon...all I want is the exhaust...something thats aggressive but not obnoxiously loud like my friends borla with open plates...anyway if anyone has it on their camaro and can help me out here please feel free... oh and if there is anyone in the NY or NJ area that has it I'd really appreciate it if i could hear it...

Thanks again
Old 08-05-2004, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Its pretty loud because its chambered, but go to ls1sounds.com and they have clips of the gmmg.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a completely stock LS1, it is not quite as loud as the SLP Loudmouth I once had on my last Z28, but it is definitely noticeably louder than any SLP dual/dual system I've ever heard. I personally think it is about every bit as loud as a wide-open Borla system (I should know, since I once had that set-up too!).

So to answer your question, yeah, it will be a little louder at idle, but noticeably louder at cruise, and a lot louder at WOT. Sounds very nice behind stock manifolds, cats, and Y-pipe. Sounds even BETTER with some LT headers and highflow cats.

I personally love the muscular tone of it on an LS1 (otherwise stock or heavily modified)...

Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its is loud...but not annoying loud.

It more of a low, deep sound...

Check out ls1sounds.com
Old 08-05-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

CHeck out there web site they have a few sound clip's www.gmmg.net
Old 08-06-2004, 07:34 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what you all think is loud, but I think it's pretty quiet compared to other exhausts I've heard. It doesn't even compare to the Loudmouth for the volume it produces. It's not much louder than a stock SS/WS6 exhaust under idle. It's a little louder than say a Flowmaster under normal acceleration. Under WOT, it's a nice muscular sound, but it doesn't drone, cackle, pop, or anything annoying.

For those that think it's loud, you haven't heard a loud LS1.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with going to LS1Sounds.com. My car is on there ('98 SS/FLP LT/ORY).

The GMMG on a fairly stock car with stock headers and cats is deep and agressive sounding but not too loud. Add long tubes and remove the cats and it's every bit as loud as the SLP Loudmouth.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Launching!

If you enjoy an aggressive system that won't rust....then get the GMMG stuff. I love it, and have had it on both the LS6 Phase one engine, and the Phase three engine in iur ZL-1. The phase one car has stock..mildly ported exhaust manifolds, and stock Y. Even with that it managed to imoress the hell out of me.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

I love my GMMG. Great at idle and not loud at all under 2k rpms. Gets a bit of drone from 2k to 2.5k but after that it is just a nice clean sound. Compared to my friend Loudmouth, the GMMG is quiet but it is definately the 2nd loudest behind the loudmouth. If you have an M6, cruising in 6th gear you can't tell it is not the stock exhaust, but when you get on it....you know it is there A4 can get stuck in the drone area when cruising. I live in exhaust **** heaven Southern California and I never even get a look from the cops so it can't be that loud
Old 08-06-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hayze
Its is loud...but not annoying loud.

It more of a low, deep sound...

Check out ls1sounds.com

Yeah, it sounds great.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had mine since for a little over 6 months. Have to say that I love the sound cause it's really aggresive in my opinion. It also has it's own distinctive sound as well. I like the way it sounds on my car, but I'm really chomping at the bit to get some LT's and high flow cats on the car with it. Best money I've spent on anything in a long time.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Talking

Here's our '98 TA with Flowmasters

Here's our TA after we installed GMMG exhaust

There is a drone around 2 to 2.5 like skytower said. I really love the way our TA sounds with the GMMG. In the vid of our TA with the GMMG, you'll see that we had the slash cut tips on there. We ended up buying the oval tips later on.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

It sounds good enough to where you dont need a radio, you can just listen to the exhaust. Its that damn sexy.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

check out my vids on LS1Sounds.com under GMMG... its a 98 TA A4 with SLP Lid and GMMG exhaust. Everything else is stock

Also, where in NJ are you ?? I'm near Morristown [not Moorestown lol] .. I'll be more than happy to meet up and have you listen to the system in person

email: ls1ta@optonline.net , AIM : SuperchargedGTX, YIM: Y3kRahul@Yahoo.com MSN: M5Rahul@hotmail.com or Pvt Msg me here..
Old 08-08-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
It sounds good enough to where you dont need a radio, you can just listen to the exhaust. Its that damn sexy.
oh so true!!! I usually turn my stereo OFF/ to Mute, just to listen to the rumble .. esp when you get off the line... " grrrrrr"
Old 08-08-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couldn't have said it better myself. If it wasn't for the occasional trip, i'd probably never turn my radio on.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

I have the GMMG with the other mods in my sig, and like everyone else has said; it's pretty mellow at part throttle and under 2000rpm. Great fitting and top-notch quality as well.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
CHeck out there web site they have a few sound clip's www.gmmg.net
The correct URL:
http://www.gmmginc.net/html/chamberedexhaust.html

We can also hear and see exhaust clips at this web site:
http://www.ls1sounds.com/

Old 08-09-2004, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

I have an auto.. At cruising, it is only slightly louder than stock with stock manifolds and cats.. When you get on it though, you can tell it is not stock.. It is still not super loud, but enough to make someone racing you say "Oops, maybe they car aint stock"
Old 08-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Honestly..my !muffler with custom tips sounds damn near as good as any other exhaust system I have heard. It drones slightly sometimes, and when it shifts it loses presure and makes a weird sound a bit, but it absolutely rumbles and turns heads. THat being said..It'll only stay that way til I get LT/ORY, then it will be TOO loud, and GMMG will go on