Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 burning oil and misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 burning oil and misfiring

for the past 2 says, an SES light will come on in my car, but it goes away in about 5 min. i recently did a plug change, so i figured it was a loose wire or something.

well, today I was on the way to work and the light started flashing. it flashed 10 times then stayed solid. if i remember right that means misfire. ok, i thought, loose wire i'll check it when i get to work.

well, the car started running like it had a MONSTER cam in it, and acceleration was crap. i finally got to work, and when i stopped the car it was smoking! i opened the hood and it smelled like burning oil, and i checked the oil and it was down to about a quart. argg. i changed the oil 500 miles ago...

any ideas guys? help!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

daaaaaaaaaaaaamnnn man did you d oanything else besides just change teh plugs??
Old 08-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

plugs and changed the oil at the same time about 2-3 weeks ago, and the problem just started recently

i wonder if that crank seal i had the shop put on a few weeks ago has anything to do with it? but a bad crank seal wouldnt cause this much misfire would it?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

i went back out after the car cooled and it was only about a quart low on oil, so i put a quart in.

i started the car, and it did the same thing (of course). i am concerned that it may be fuel-delivery related, but i KNOW that was oil i smelled burning from the car.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttyson
plugs and changed the oil at the same time about 2-3 weeks ago, and the problem just started recently

i wonder if that crank seal i had the shop put on a few weeks ago has anything to do with it? but a bad crank seal wouldnt cause this much misfire would it?
are you talking bout a rear main seal or a front seal? because neither one of those would cause oil burn, it will cost an oil leak but not oil burn, have you checked you pcv valve for oil blowign by and geting into your intake? is there any oil in you intake or in the air chamber of the heads??? if not, and you burning oil fo sure then man you screw?? are you good with engines and working on them???
Old 08-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

honestly no i have never done anything that complex
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttyson
honestly no i have never done anything that complex
then dude i don't know what to tell you cause i could start talking and you might be like what in the hell is he talking bout.

as far as burning oil did you check you pcv valve?? that thing ussually leaks oil into the intake so that could be part of the problem as far as the monster cam thing i would not recomend you to open up the engine since you said you not to technichal so just take it to a shop and have them hook it up to a computer and see if anythign comes up.

Last edited by zamboxl; 08-11-2004 at 10:30 AM.