New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 or A4

Old 08-11-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M6 or A4

ok...ive had automatic f-bodys...through my f-body years..which has been two cars..a 94 z28 a4...and now i have a 98 transam a4...im kinda thinking i want to get a m6..but im gonna need to sell my 98 transam first..i just got the transam..about a month ago mabe a lil more...i bought it from my brother..my parents would throw a fit..if i said i wanted to sell it cuz i didn't like it..but i could go with the i can't afford it right now..and am gonna half to sell it..do to the high monthly payments ...im thinken id rather have an lt1 m6..at this time..any suggestions.

oh Yeh and how much do you think i shoudl sell my car for heres the specs.

98 Pontiac T/A
Black Exterior, Charcoal Leather Interior
A4
IT Came Fully Loaded
Well maintained...oil changed every 3,000 miles...my brother bought from original owner it was an old guy...in Broken Arrow, OK..he had all paperwork it was still under Warranty til 75,00 miles..the warranty just got done.
It now has 82,356 miles on it..
Negative Side-IT has rock chips on the front bumper...it has scratch marks on the hood going diagnol in the very middle but only time you can really see is when you just wax it or wash it good..there about 5 inches..long adn there are 6..setting right next to each other...the last guy came off a 1000 for the scratches..there are also some on the front left panel...and rear panel..not noticeable though unless pointed out..damn i wish this car was white and you couldn't see them.

How much should i sell it for???

It was purchased about a year and a hlaf ago for 12,500...it had 60,000 miles on it then though.

i still owe quite a bit on it....thats why i dunno if it'd be worth selling and having to get another loan...for a m6 lt1...even though i could get one..with same miles as my transam for half the price id be looked at 5500...6500..7000..

range on a lt1??...or you think it'd be better to fidn someone and make a trade with them for almost same year..car just a m6.

Another suggestion is doing the conversion??how much would it cost to change your car form an a4 to an m6 it has 82,xxx miles on it..so ...transmission will prob be going soon.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about spending 500.00 or so on a TCI converter and see if that changes your mind. I too wrestled with that question before I purchased my Z but I have 0 regrets, especially after installing the stall. My understanding is a conversion is just too expensive and complicated to be worth the swap. Chances are if you sell the car your going to loose money, so why not spend a little on the converter and start a whole new relationship with your car. Good luck!!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnP
How about spending 500.00 or so on a TCI converter and see if that changes your mind. I too wrestled with that question before I purchased my Z but I have 0 regrets, especially after installing the stall. My understanding is a conversion is just too expensive and complicated to be worth the swap. Chances are if you sell the car your going to loose money, so why not spend a little on the converter and start a whole new relationship with your car. Good luck!!
What he said, I ordered my stall today.

oh, and before i bought this car i was in the hunt for an F-body with a 6spd. Now im glad i have an A4, I hear a stall makes these cars a lot funner to drive and knocks a half second off your ET.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I agree with the above statements. I do have an m6 and admit it is very fun, but an a4 can be just as fun and gives more consecutive times at a track vs. an amateur m6 driver.

One more thing, not to knock lt1's, but (note: some other people should probably chime in here and verify this statement) wouldnt a stock a4 ls1 be roughly equivalent to a stock m6 lt1? Now i have never owned an lt1, nor have i driven one, but i am just going off of dyno's i have seen. So get the stall and a few mods and i think you will be happy.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

im just asying i want an m6..i want a manual car..they feel faster..and...are alot Funner to drive ALOT FUNNER!

i drove my friends 69 fastback with a 4 speed..and it was funner than my car..and it was a POS ..
Old 08-11-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

how does a TCI Converter..make my auto funner to drive it just changes the shift point a lil higher don't it?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

I had a 98 M6 SS a while back and now have an 02 A4 Z28.
I would not trade my A4 for a M6 because I use the A4 as a daily driver. As a weekend car, I would get a M6. The M6 is fun to drive but I got tired of rowing the gears and always having to keep my hands free to shift gears in traffic. In the future I plan on getting a commuter car and modding the A4 with a stall, etc. Heck, my Z28 gets better gas mileage than my Ford Ranger or Dodge Minivan.

Personally, I would definately stay with an A4 LS1 verses a manual LT1.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

it makes it "funner" by removing the bog that the stock TC seems to create. it will be very throtal responsive, and the dead spots that the A4 cars are known for are also eliminated. Plus like i said you'll knock a 1/2second off your track times.

stock for stock M6 will beat A4
but equaly moded cars an A4 w/stall will beat the M6
Old 08-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

An A4 with a good stall makes the car feel a hell of a lot faster and is without a doubt FUN!!!!! I went through the exact same feelings before I got my stall. Like JohnP said try putting about $500 - $700 worth in a badass stall and then see what you think. Good luck!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't trade it for a lt1 m6. However, a stall converter will make your car consistant at the track. I am in the process of doing a conversion swap a4 to m6. I have a a4 with a stall and in my personal opinion an a4 could never be as fun as an m6. I drove my buddies 98z m6 and I just cant stop thinking how it felt going through those gears. Good luck whatever route you go
Old 08-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

A big part of enjoying an automatic is getting it set up so it shifts the way you want it to and keeps the motor in the fat of the tourque curve. After a little tuning, I'm much happier with my A4, and I don't even have a converter yet. A manual is typically more fun, but after getting my automatic 69 GTO dailed in, I enjoy it just as much as my 4spd. car.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

thanks you guys have talked me into sticking wit my a4 congratulations

Old 08-13-2004, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
how does a TCI Converter..make my auto funner to drive it just changes the shift point a lil higher don't it?
NO. It stalls higher and has higher shift extension, as well as a higher torque multiplication ratio (STR). Look at it this way: if you punch it from a dead stop with the stock verter it will stall to ~1700 rpm, but with my little converter it will stall to 3500-3800 rpm. You make a LOT more torque there than at 1700 Same thing happens on the shift, called shift extensions, it kind of 'stalls' the RPM's higher into the powerband.

A new converter is why my 320rwhp/337rwtq, stock suspension car can pull a 1.72-1.74 60' with ET streets.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
thanks you guys have talked me into sticking wit my a4 congratulations

Sweet, now get that converter (cough,SSF3500,cough-cough) and report back to us. Good luck
Old 08-14-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lucian
I agree with the above statements. I do have an m6 and admit it is very fun, but an a4 can be just as fun and gives more consecutive times at a track vs. an amateur m6 driver.

One more thing, not to knock lt1's, but (note: some other people should probably chime in here and verify this statement) wouldnt a stock a4 ls1 be roughly equivalent to a stock m6 lt1? Now i have never owned an lt1, nor have i driven one, but i am just going off of dyno's i have seen. So get the stall and a few mods and i think you will be happy.
In their stock form any LS1 will hand the LT1 it's ***, PERIOD.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Teching In

500 to 700 bucks for a stall ? Man, that's a LOT to pay for a car that drives you, instead of you driving the car(shifting whenever you want to...). Besides, who says traffic and a 6-speed don't mix? Ever try to download/fix an automatic? Yikes! BT,DT!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gasalene
500 to 700 bucks for a stall ? Man, that's a LOT to pay for a car that drives you, instead of you driving the car(shifting whenever you want to...). Besides, who says traffic and a 6-speed don't mix? Ever try to download/fix an automatic? Yikes! BT,DT!
You do have a decent point in the fun to drive ratio, but my car is in the gear that I want it to be in when I want it to be there. You learn fairly quickly what amount of throttle, applied at what rate, will get you in terms of gear. Just need that little converter to make it possible to do what you want, and $500-$700 a lot of money??? What can a manual car do for that amount of money that will take a half second off your 1/4? NOTHING. (save nitrous, but that goes for any trany anyway)

The A4 vs M6 has been beat to death a few times. It's not hard to find the advantages and disadvantages to each. Manual is more involving to drive while the auto is easier on the rear and can be made quicker for less money/mods.....etc etc.

I say that traffic and a six speed with a grabby clutch don't mix, so there!

Of course, a big stall and traffic don't mix very well either, talk about eating up the gas
Old 08-14-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just put in a tci3000 stall yesterday and what a difference.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Isn't the auto trans junk? With a stall and a gear it would probably break faster. A guy at fbody.com has had his rebuilt 4 times and he runs 12.4's. From what I hear the t56 is a pretty strong trans and a manual is without a doubt more fun to drive. If you have the itch for a 6spd it will probably bug you untill ya get one.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:07 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Just slap a stall in it like these guys said. But if you still want an M6 you can always slap one in there instead of selling it to buy another M6 car.

Peace,
Craig.

Search this Thread