New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the site 2, looking for.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default new to the site 2, looking for.....

Some info.

Hello all, my name is Mike and I do not have an LS1 car as of yet but am interested in getting one soon. I purchased a 93 Z28 brand new in 93 and it was stout, turning 8.8's @79mph in the 1/8 with consistent 2.02 60'. It had a Hypertech thermo master chip with the 160 degree thermostat and thats it. The car was an automatic with 3.23 gears. I had to sell it a year after I got married for financial purposes.

Now Im looking for another Z28 or even a Trans Am, or Firebird. I have noticed that these cars have alot of potential watching them at the track when Im running my bike. Since its been so long since Ive owned an F body I really dont know whats out there and what works good and what doesnt.

First mods will have to be exhaust because lets face it, GM just didnt care a rats *** about what these cars sounded like from the factory. I dont want to be dragging pipes by trying to fit a true dual on a car thats not made for it like I did on my old 84 Z28.

I followed a link from a guy on here to ls1sounds and found a ton of info. I like'em loud, but a good sounding loud and of course the power and torque it adds is important. What are some of you guys using and if possible could anyone give examples of either a before and after dyno run going from stock to aftermarket exhaust or how much et they lowered and mph they picked up?

Sorry so long and thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP Loudmouth is a great, cheap, aweomse sounding cat-back for stock headers and y-pipe.

GMMG is awesome sounding, best IMO, but costs a ton of money.

Magnaflow is also very good.

Flowmaster is junk, but sounds awesome as well
Old 08-15-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMMG is the best cat-back you're going to find, period. Its expensive, but money well spent. Can even run that puppy without cats and still get a nice deep sound. Personally you can run true duals dumped before the axle depending on your setup and not run into too many issues with clearance, just have to do some research. Hooker is a good, budget-minded catback. Many people like it, its cheap, and sounds great. Good gains as well. Good luck with your search, and hope you acquire your F-body soon!!