New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPE or APE Iron 408 shortblock prices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPE or APE Iron 408 shortblock prices?

Anyone know what a forged 408 iron shortblock would run me from hpe or ape?? and also how much hp can these motors hold...I'm pretty sure it'll be more than i will put in it....thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure about APE, but I know that an HPE 408 (which I will most likely get next year) is $3899, no core exchange required. Horsepower? It depends if you're talking all motor, or forced induction. I'd say it can make mid to high 500's all motor, and probably hold up to 800 with nitrous or boost, not too sure about that though.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the hp number's but i'm looking for what the block and internals will hold to...I'm hoping to run a 200 shot on top of whatever the motor puts out and I don't know if the shortblock will handle it... thanks for the reply
Old 08-18-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Either one of those sponsors can build you a forged 408 that will take all the abuse you can throw at it. A 200 shot is child's play!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Give both a call and tell them what you want. I'm sure they will get you going.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price of the iron block 408 really comes down to how you option it out ( heads for example can be a couple of grand, FAST intake, etc, etc). You should be around 500 rwhp with a mild cam. Add a 100 or 200 shot and you'll be flying. I would give Chris at APE a buzz. You need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples when price shopping.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 08-18-2004, 01:45 PM
User

You would be looking at $3850 form us for a 408 with Eagle internals and $4420 for a 408 with Callies crank and Eagle rods. If you would like to go over specific's of these engines please feel free to call our shop. Or PM us and we can go over it. Thanks for the interest in our engines.

Thanks,
Old 08-18-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ape is the bomb.........

J
Old 08-18-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Our 408's w/ forged Eagle internals run 3899 and do not require a core. They come with a brand new GM block, as well as our 2 year 24k mile warranty. Both our companies are obviously close on price, so you would just need to call and talk to us about how we can build the motor to best suit your needs.

Chuck
Old 08-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Launching!

How much more does the cast block weigh than the aluminum?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ez98ls1
How much more does the cast block weigh than the aluminum?
About 75 lbs.

Chuck
Old 08-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

you say a 2yr 24/k warranty, if that was by purchasing a shortblock, and i bought the heads you recommended and isntalled all myself, but let you all tune it, would it still be warranty? or do you all have to do all of the work?. i am assuming you all will need to do it all.?.?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jason98Zee
you say a 2yr 24/k warranty, if that was by purchasing a shortblock, and i bought the heads you recommended and isntalled all myself, but let you all tune it, would it still be warranty? or do you all have to do all of the work?. i am assuming you all will need to do it all.?.?
I'm just jumping in here for a second but if the shortblock was damaged by something else besides our own stuff then we would not warranty it since we have no control over that. So also if we put a set of heads on that we did not do and you have valvesprings breaking etc. and what not that would have to be taken up with who actually built them and set them up. Most engines are blown up at assembly or with tuning or mistuning especially power adders stuff. I also don't warranty any race parts we sell and you assemble because I fix the aftermath of stuff like that every day.

If we do anything ourselves, we at least know what happened, since the "we" would be me, Erik Koenig and/or only the one other guy here that helps me and also does block work as well. The stuff we do right here in our shop and assemble we stand by totally. The only thing I would not personally warranty would be extreme power adders like NOS since you can have any number of small errors and smoke a motor pretty easily and of course any obvious abuse like severe detonation or running the engine without oil. Believe me this happens every day.

So in your example above if you put the engine together and it dropped a valve you would be on your own. If the shortblock had a problem and it was our fault we would have to fix it for you. I have never had a problem like that yet thank goodness but eventually something might happen and we would have to fix it if it did. I have seen some pretty crazy people in my time so I am working up a startup manual or packet to send to people to remind them of any dangerous situations I can think of!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your reply, thats what i was assuming, i doubt i could ever get an engine tho from texas since its a little far away, because i would want the ppl who build my engine to do EVERYTHING from the install to the tune, + i would go back for a tune every couple months, and would only put it on their dyno, that way they know exactly what is going on and if its their stuff they know how it should be tuned.

Texas is just a bit to far to do that for me.. i was look at Futral Motorsports because their a tad bit closer, but may even be to far away for what i want.

However i am really eyeing your forged shortblock for 2799
Old 08-19-2004, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Futral is also an excellenet place to do business with if they are closer to you Jason! If we can do anything for you just let us know. I am getting in to the shop a little late because of my schedule and construction here on I-10 but I'm there till very late!

Quick Reply: HPE or APE Iron 408 shortblock prices?