Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all who own sport bikes....need some input

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all who own sport bikes....need some input

My brother just picked up a 97 CBR F3 600, and I am in love with it. I have always wanted a bike and I have decided now that because I can afford to save for one, I am going to get a bike in April or May and buy it outright. Anyway. I am hoping to spend less than $6K because that will be my estimated budget, and get an 00-01 CBR F4i 600. Here is what I need help on:

I am 5 foot 9 inches tall, 215 pounds. I am not really fat I just have a large build and am pretty muscular. For about 10 years I have been rideing all types of 4wheelers all the time (racers, utilities, offroad 4x4, etc.) and 80-250cc dirt bikes every so often when I get the chance to use someones. (I know its a different world, but I will be able to grasp the concept quicker). I completly understand the shifting configuration, braking aspects, and relative manuving capabilities. Hell I even know how coutersteering works, and I did it while riding my brothers bike the otherday. And that even came completely natural to me, if I didnt know what it was I wouldnt have known I was doing it.

I have just rode my brothers cbr around a parking lot a few times, and a little on a back road (no license). So that is the only street bike experiance that I have. Anyway, what should I be looking to get. I am thinking of the CBR F4i not really sure. I have had people tell me on some sport bike forums to get a 250cc street bike, WHAT. Thats a little weird if you ask me. Then I will just want a 600 after I learn, where as with the 600 I am sure that will be more than enough.

Can I get some opinions from fellow ls1 enthusiasts who understand what I am feeling? Those SOB's on the sport bike forums are definiatly ricers. I mean they all have attituded and you can pick that up from their posts. I just want the bike to cruise with my brother, and my other friends that have bikes.

Thanks
Fry
Old 08-17-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i was in your shoes. i was gonna get rid of my car and go the bike route, but instead let every1 else go the bike route and wait for feed-back. two of my friends bought bikes. gsxr600 and a R6. im a huuuge gixxer fan, but the R6 is ok. the R6 was happy with his and felt that he didnt need to go to a 1000cc. the gixxer friends felt that his 600 was "ok" but wanted to get a 750, so he purchased a brandnew 750 this spring. he absolutley loves it and the bike is killer!! i would suggest starting at a 600. stock they are all about the same, but its around 160mph that the 1000cc bikes dominate.

J
Old 08-17-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

i feel ya man. ive been wanting to get a bike but just cant afford the z and a bike. if i were you i would look at a GSX 600R. you would definately not be unsatisfied with its power. i rode my coworkers the other day and it really suprised me. i also rode my friends 250 and let me be the first to steer you away from that. cbr's are awesome bikes too. let me know what you decide to do.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't get a CBR 600 F4i, I'd get a CBR 600 RR. The F4i is a sport touring bike, looks goofy. And what exactly are you asking? Should you get a bike, or what kind?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would love to get a gixer, but my insurance would be almost double, I dont know why but thats the quote I got. As for the F4i vs. RR....The RR has a more aggressive seating stance, and apparently hurts like hell on long road rides. I am proabably going to do quite a bit of long rides so that is something I am looking at. Also the RR isnt really capable of wheelies, which i want to be able to do way, way, way down the road. Also I think the F4i looks great, not to say the RR dosnt, but for what I am looking for the f4 fits better.

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Should you get a bike, or what kind?
I am getting a bike, there is no doubt about that. What I am looking to get some information on is if the f4i is too much bike for my first street bike. Also like you suggested, should I look at other models too? I am not getting a new bike an 01-02 to keep insurance down.

Thanks fellas

Fry
Old 08-17-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, OK. In that case, I vote for the F4i. I think the best looking 600 is the Kawa ZX-6R, and that is what I want if I get approved (18 yrs old w/ very little credit ). I hear that Gixxer's are the easiest to work on, and next would be Kawa's. But a Honda bike is just like a Honda car, you'll never have to work on them . Happy riding, and I hope it all works out.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

If this is your first bike, any of the mentioned 600's will be to much. Don't spend tons of $$ on your first bike, spend it on your equipment. Get a good helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. As far as a bike goes, I'd look into a suzuki sv650. This is a great first bike, plenty fast and a blast to ride around town. Also, when you get your bike don't ride like an idiot.

Frey51 - 600RR not capable of wheelies?? You've got to be kidding...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with a Yamaha R6
Old 08-17-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CCSRACER
If this is your first bike, any of the mentioned 600's will be to much. Don't spend tons of $$ on your first bike, spend it on your equipment. Get a good helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. As far as a bike goes, I'd look into a suzuki sv650. This is a great first bike, plenty fast and a blast to ride around town. Also, when you get your bike don't ride like an idiot.

I agree. Buy a cheaper, older bike to learn on. Then step up. I bought an older CBR for $500, it did need a little work, but it also gave me a chance to learn motorcycles.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Here is my .02. I have a 600 Katana. I know, it doesn't really qualify for a sport bike but anyway...It was my first street bike but I had been riding dirt bikes for several years so I already knew how to handle a bike and did not buy a beater to learn on. I had decided on the Katana because I really liked the looks and because it was much more comfortable than the extreme sport bikes. Just like you, my plan was to ride long rides so I wanted comfort. Well, as it turns out, most of my riding is done around town. Since you stop a lot around town, you don't really have time to get uncomfortable. So, I was dissappointed for sacrificing the speed for some comfort. It got boring after a couple of years. I wish I would have bought something like a gixxer or CBR. I was going to trade up for a liter bike, but I bought my Z instead. Now I'm starting to want a new bike again.

In short, if you have a lot of riding experience already, I would think more about getting the bike you want the first time. Unless you want a liter bike. I would advise against that. Just stay off the throttle until you get used to riding in traffic and get used the bikes power and wheelie capabilities.

By the way, CCSRACER mentioned the SV650. I hear that is a really fun bike. I also hear that Honda's are pretty confident inspiring. Good luck!

Ryan
Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CCSRACER
Im just going by what I was told. Obviously it would be capable, but it takes some work. Again going on second hand information.

Thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate it. As for going with the 600 for my first bike I think it is a good decision because I do have roughly 10 years of drit riding, like I said. I think it is the best decision for me. And riding like an idiot....I will leave that up to those ricers on the sportbike forums.

Fry
Old 08-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Launching!

I am 5'8" and weigh 195 similar build if you want speed go on and get a used R1 or GSXR 1000 because in a few months you will think the 600s dont have enough on bottom end IMO if you just wanna cruise get the cheapest best looking 600 you can find.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

no R1 for me....not yet anyway, maybe after a year or two on the f4i, I am just too scared of the r1. I want to learn before I go really nuts on power.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in the same boat and decided to get a cbr 600 in 99. I Had never been on a bike before and was scared to get what I wanted big mistake. If all ur gng to do is ride around then a 600 would be ok. But I had two cbrs the 600 and a 929 and they are nothing compared to my gsxr 750. It awesome it like a 600 but can run with the big boys. You can pop a wheelie just by nailing the gas as high as u wnt. So if I had it to do I go ahead and get a bigger bike if I were you and just becareful until you get the experience you need.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2001 CBR 929RR. It is fast (low to mid 170's) and quick (6.93@105 1/8 mi with 1.71 60'. However, a 600 is alot of bike. These bikes are capable of 150 easy and the new 600RR ran a radar certifies 162mph during one of the reviews after it came out, the fastest speed from a stock 600 yet. The main thing with a 600 is the lack of torque compared to a liter bike. The lack of torque makes them easier to ride and get used to because its not as touchy as a liter bike. If I were you I would get whatever you like the best because all of the main 4 companies make good stuff with Honda leading the pack for quality and overall package IMO.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Frey51 If you have any experience at all you should not be afraid of the R1 or the Gixxer 1000. I was in you shoes several years ago and I brought a Katana 600 because the price was right and it was a 600cc bike. Biggest mistake that I made. I sold the bike 3 months later to get a gixxer 600. Thought I was doing better becaue I was getting Suzuki's race 600.

Yeah it was a big improvement from the Kan of Tuna but after several months of riding with my friends I was always bring up the rear. Not that I got the bike to race(he he) but when I would ride my girl you can tell the bike was struggling. ( No wise cracks about my girls weight. ONLY 1130 opps I mean 130lbs). I got rid of the 600 and got the Gixxer 1000 and yes that is way more than enough bike. I also know that the bike is only going to do what I tell it to do. You control the throttle. With your size you should be looking at nothing smaller than a 900cc bike because you probably won't out grow it.

Unless you have money to just get what you want when ever you want I would suggest getting a bigger bike so that you won't grow out of it, but also respect the bigger bike power. You can get a 1000 and ride it like a 600 until you get comfortable riding a bike with 1000cc power. What ever you decide to get make sure you get good equipment and just be carefull. and
Old 08-18-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am thinking of getting a 600 or 750 and I have never rode a motorcycle. Probably looking at the 600. You guys are answering all my questions without me asking. I will be taking a riding course first.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would love an R1, and I have a buddy that is going to let me try his out. BUt the insurance is insane, and I would not be able to afford it outright. Which means I couldnt just get liability on it. I will proabably get an R1 down the road but for now an f4i is all I want.

Definatly take the MSF course. I am gonna take it just because I know there is stuff I wont learn on my own that I dont already know.

Fry
Old 08-18-2004, 04:40 AM
11 Second Club

I picked up my 2001 yamaha r6 this past sat. for 5k and its got about 1k on the clock. I decided to get a bike cuz I always wanted one, mainly because of the gas prices here in hawaii. $2.89 a gal. I was undecided between the R6 and the f4i. I went w/ the R6 cuz it was a hella of a deal and low miles 1189 miles to be exact. new batt, helmet, bike cover and bike manuals. show room condition never been drop. I fought w/ my gf like everyday for a week cuz she dint want me to get a bike! but hey I came out ahead, lol. never rode a bike in my life and this r6 handles pretty well.